Galvan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a 75 gallon, 7 animals, 90lbs of LR. have recently been working to get more corals. Tank is going is going on 2 years old and I had not been adding any coral supplement, like calcium and Iodine. Is it O.K. to add Iodine once a week. In the last 3 weeks I have added Iodine and my corals to seem to be looking better. I just do not want to over do the iodine.

1 brain coral
1 carpet coral
1 frog spawn
fiji leather

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing for iodine?
Iodine supplements are unnecessary IMO, though some people do use it. But personally, I would never add anything to my tank unless I can test for it and know that I am rectifying an actual deficiency.

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still learning myself but I've read enough here on Reefs.org to recommend the same as PitPat. Don't add anything you can't test for.

For what it's worth I've never added Idodine and have had a flurishing tank for 3 years.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is something that you should be testing for, and if you are low you should supplement. You do not have much in your tank that requires a heavy calcium load, so you could probably maintain your Calcium levels with periodic water changes.

If you do find that you need to supplement Ca levels I strongly, strongly, recommend that you use a 2-part additive like b-ionic, instead of a single-part calcium additive. More important than the absolute level of Ca in your tank is the balance you have between Ca and Alk, and single part additives can throw that balance out of whack and make it difficult to correct.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never liked Iodine. But I do like adding Iodide. The slight difference is incredibly important.

maccafan

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to get off topic
but Dr. Reef can you expand on how much Iodide you use
on what size tank and the results?

Thanks
Tim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: