Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
Picked up the Hanna nitrate and phosphate checkers so I don’t have to guess at the Salifert colors.

PH 8.0
Nitrate 17.5
Phos 0.18
Mag 1290
Alk 8.2
CA 430
Temp 77

So now I have more readings the phosphates are high. And nitrates are a little high. So now that I fed the tank I need to get more additives to get the excess out of the tank. Bonkers.

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
Corals never took off and most fade away. A few mushrooms, Zoas, Zoas are starting to look better.

Fish are fine
2 ocellaris clownfish
Flame hawkfish
melunaras wrasse
2 flame cardinal fish
Splendid psuedochromis

To/di. Meter says 0. I change the DI resin it once I see it increase.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
OK, so it seems like there was some sort of issue that caused the finicky corals to die.

What I would do now is the following:
  • Do not feed the tank, just feed the fish (remember, corals are mostly photosynthetic)
  • Do not add any scleractinian corals (nothing hard), just zoas, toadstools, leathers, etc - this means you do not need to dose anything at all for a while
  • Do regular 10% water changes every 3-4 weeks - if the tank starts to develop algae you can do these more frequently
  • Test No2 No3, pH, SG, temp every week

I would follow the above and just be very patient. In a couple months if the soft corals are thriving and growing then you can add an easy hard coral, like some candy canes, basic (cheap) frogspawn, or a scolymia, NO SPS or torches until you are able to keep the LPS alive. At that time you will need to test a bit more frequently to see what the Ca/Alk is doing.

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
Update. Add some rowahos. Stopped feeding the reed roids.

PH 8.0
Nitrate 17.5
Phos 0.06
Mag 1310
Alk 7.0
CA 400
Temp 77
Sal 1.025

Phosphates dropped. Nitrates have not budged. Alk / Cal are being consumed. Trying to start dosing b-ionic.

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
Corals look the same. Have not lost any in 2 weeks. Only feeding the fish mysis every other day. Should expect the PO4 to drop using the rowaphos in a reactor?

Nitrates should be ok. Want to try the refugium if I can find any macro/cheato locally.

PH 8.0
Nitrate 17.6
Phos 0.06
Mag 1300
Alk 7.0
CA 400
Temp 77
Sal 1.025

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
Well about lose the last torch. All parameters are inline. I stopped adding anything but mysis for the fish since a week and a 1/2 ago. I lowered the lights to 70%. Have not had time to order a iCP kit. Has to be something in my source water (city) that the ro/id filter can not remove so there is no fix for that. I doubt it’s the LR as coraline is everywhere. Fish appear fine but can keep a tang alive.

Either I find a service to come figure this out but Most likely Going to look to tear it all down and sell what I can. What a waste of money.

Anyone want a complete setup?

Parameters:
PH 8.0
Nitrate 10.5
Phos 0.05
Mag 1350
Alk 8.1
CA 450
Temp 77
Sal 1.025

Setup:
90 G Aqueon Reef Tank/Stand/Glass Tops
Eshopps AR-200 sump (no refugium running)
Eshopps Axium 160 Skimmer
Kessil Flora for the Refugium (not in use)
Sicce return pump
2 Titanium heaters
Inkbird controller
Apex Neptune monitoring PH, ORP, Temp, sump water level and power
MP40
MP10
Radion XR-15 Blue (G5 and a G6)
Phoban reactor powered by a small Sicce pump
Auto Top Off
Salifert Test kits
Hanna Test meters (Po4 and Nitrate)
Refractometer (Calibration fluid)
Red Sea Pro Salt
4 Stage RO/DI

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I remember a while back, someone had problems like yours, the issue was that they lived in a recently built building, as a result the water contained residue of soldering (tin etc) that the RODI did not remove. ICP helped them figure this out. Of course it meant having to buy RODI for some time.

When you do the ICP, it is worth doing both your aquarium water, but also your RODI water.

Rob_Reef_Keeper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 60%
3   2   0
Just lost another hammer. It was open yesterday and gone now.

Attachments

• IMG_4691.jpeg
    IMG_4691.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: