pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hi All,

Having weird problems with my GFI units tripping lately..can't figure out why. Here's the background.

Firstly I'm using these..(I've had them for at least 3 years)

KMVSEbWOTU.jpg

I have two of them in two different outlets on the same circuit. One is for my 30 gal cube and the other for my 90 gal which is a recent upgrade from my 65 gal. It's only since this upgrade that they started tripping.

All that's changed with the 90 insofar as electricity is concerned is that I've moved to LED's but they're using substantially less electricity than my previous T5 unit. Also, I've started using "reefcrest" mode with my Vortech so those who are familiar with the Vortech's knows that in this mode the units power draw fluxuates from the lowest speed slowly up to max speed and back again all day. Could this be the issue?

Thing is that both tanks GFI's tripped this morning and while the cube came back up and stayed up after a reset the 90 gal's keeps tripping again and again. I'm at work in the city so I just asked my mother inlaw (takin care of the baby) to just take the gfi out of the picture on the 90 gallon and plug the wires straight into the outlet.

There are only 2 things currently plugged into that 90 gfi unit....my UPS that currently only has my water on the floor detector plugged into it and my APEX powerstrip is the other which is running my LED's, MP40, sump pump, 3 small pumps in the sump...(PO4, skimmer & one more small one for flow in the sump), heater...lastly my led sump light is plugged into it.

Again all that's changed in that config is that I'm using lower powered LED's & I've set my Vortech to reefcrest.

No idea why the cube's tripped at the same time this morning...same circuit but different outlets.

I suppose I should also mention that I have a 3rd of these "plugin" GFI units in my RODI room where I have my resovoir and it trips constantly but I've been lazy about figuring out why. It however is on a different circuit I'm almost certain.

Any ideas?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Not sure what your Shock Buster issue's are specifically, but an FYI about GFCI's are that they do fail. Surges in the line can blow out GFCI's that are hard wired into your home. Therefore I would guess the Shock Buster can also be damaged by surges. This is the reason all GFCI's have a test and reset button on them. One last thing, I don't know anything about the Shock Buster, but maybe it is just a cheap, inexpensive product. Only saying that because you've got three of them and all three are tripping.

Russ

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not sure what your Shock Buster issue's are specifically, but an FYI about GFCI's are that they do fail. Surges in the line can blow out GFCI's that are hard wired into your home. Therefore I would guess the Shock Buster can also be damaged by surges. This is the reason all GFCI's have a test and reset button on them. One last thing, I don't know anything about the Shock Buster, but maybe it is just a cheap, inexpensive product. Only saying that because you've got three of them and all three are tripping.

Russ

It may indeed be that they're just worn out and failing but I need something and didn't want to get into installing true GFI outlets but maybe I need to. The Shock Buster's were a little over $20 each I think..don't know if that's cheap or not but maybe I need to look into something higher end. I liked these because they also gave me 5 outlets though I'm only using 2 currently. They worked great for the last 3 years...maybe just worn out.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ugh..mystery solved. had mounted power supply for new led lights with industrial strength velcro to the back of my stand specifically to keep it up and well away from my baseboard heating in back of tank.

ambient heat was enough to soften the adhesive...power supply had dropped directly onto baseboard heating..super heating it to the point that it created a short.

manufacturer sending me a new one...hope it's just the power supply that was damaged and not the lights themselves.

sigh.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: