slyseekr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was curious what everyone's opinions on Country Critters in Patchogue are.

I was there last week, and they had a huge stock of Gem Tangs for $350 apiece, also had a few really rare species like Tiger Angels for sale. Also had a ton of dry goods and large tanks for sale.

I was disappointed in how small and jam packed their holding tanks were, literally 50 fish in a 20 gallon long. Also was non-plussed by their staff's attitude and apathy, though it was largely young people who were probably just earning a buck at a PT job.

Would you consider buying expensive livestock from them?

Any other recommendations for good places in LI for livestock? Pet's Warehouse in Babylon, Tropical Island, Caribbean Blue, Aqua Hut? I don't frequent these places often, but once every few months may do a day trip of visiting a few stores on the island. Thx!

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I bought a gem tang for about 600.. I put him in qt and they said guaranteed no ich or velvet.. placed in in qt and 14 days later poof! Velvet.. I want back w videos and demanded my money back.. I also educated them on how copper works...I did not get my money back but I did manage to get the tang to live after 4 months making sure he was good and copper.
So all these stores are the same, some might have less chance then others.. to date I have had velvet or ich show up from pretty much every popular pet store we all go to (actually all of the ones I have bought anything from) the staff there has always been very “assholish” but I could care less, I’m there for myself..
So if you can qt... I think it’s a must.. I’m talking about the last 15 years or so. If you have. If people have a tank w 5-7 fish I guess who care right?

I have a friend that goes to pro reef and they supposedly sell qt fish I would still watch them though.

Ron_Vas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't lie they have good stuff, prices are not bad compared to other spots but where I personally had good luck with not needing to quarantine fish are from carribean blue. Tony doses his tanks and literally like all my fish are from them and only needed to quarantine one cause I wasn't there to purchase (gift) and a year later hes still around. But thats from my experience but like ducati335i said you should quaratine before adding to your display.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Ive never QTd from Advanced Marine but Ive also never bought the notoriously dirty fishes ie wild clowns or tangs from anywhere but places that QT...pro reef, friends tanks or live aquaria divers
den. Getting a delivery from TSM of a Naso and Hippo this week and theres also Island fish and scale. Its the new way, a bit more expensive but worth the extra time and care taken. I probably won't buy from LFS that doesnt qt ever again especially with having fish in my tank older than my twin boys.
I still always look at Tropical Island, Caribbean Blue and I have a QT setup available just in case tho :)

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Ive never QTd from Advanced Marine but Ive also never bought the notoriously dirty fishes ie wild clowns or tangs from anywhere but places that QT...pro reef, friends tanks or live aquaria divers
den. Getting a delivery from TSM of a Naso and Hippo this week and theres also Island fish and scale. Its the new way, a bit more expensive but worth the extra time and care taken. I probably won't buy from LFS that doesnt qt ever again especially with having fish in my tank older than my twin boys.
I still always look at Tropical Island, Caribbean Blue and I have a QT setup available just in case tho :)
It def isn’t easy.. and if anyone had been through velvet you become permanently damaged lol

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The problem with shops quarantining their fish, would require them to hold their live stock for the 2 to 4 weeks before they are sold. And we all know that if that fish arrived last sunday and you're waiting the 4 weeks, it won't be there when you go back. They need to move their inventory, rather then sit on it and have livestock die in house. Getting them to eat is just the first step. Having 50 extra tanks for quarantine is unrealistic.
Even if a fish has been there for 4 weeks, cross contamination of new additions is a problem.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
The problem with shops quarantining their fish, would require them to hold their live stock for the 2 to 4 weeks before they are sold. And we all know that if that fish arrived last sunday and you're waiting the 4 weeks, it won't be there when you go back. They need to move their inventory, rather then sit on it and have livestock die in house. Getting them to eat is just the first step. Having 50 extra tanks for quarantine is unrealistic.
Even if a fish has been there for 4 weeks, cross contamination of new additions is a problem.
Thats why shops like Pro Reef and Island Fish and Scale and TSM are so beautifully rare and special. This is exactly what they are doing.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Definitely not an easy thing to do for shops. If the turn around time is slow and money is not coming in, it can be devastating for our type of business. Most people don't want to pay more for a fish at all. I try to hold on to fish for at least 2 weeks before i sell but most of the time its not possible. I will however make sure prozi and copper are always running in my systems + making sure it eats before selling. I also make it a point to tell the customer if i think the fish looks like **** or if it recently was added. Most of you who have dealt with me know my view on this. Please keep in mind that even if fish go through qt, they can still catch any number of diseases due to the stress of a different environment and tank mates. I applaud other shops for putting in the effort, just keep that in mind its ultimately up to the hobbyist.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Most stores run copper at a low level that won’t be curative and just keeps the fish looking ich free and still eager to eat. I won’t buy fish that have visible disease or if they’re not eating. I always ask to see them eat. I’ve had good luck with all the stores on this thread except country critters. Not that I’ve had a bad experience with them just never bought a fish there. They definitely have some nice high end rarely seen fish. I especially love the clarion angel they had.

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Most stores run copper at a low level that won’t be curative and just keeps the fish looking ich free and still eager to eat.
Which is reminder to not dump the water from the fish bag or acclimation container into your tank. As mentioned always a good idea to self QT or monitor but when ready to add to your tank drip into something and then hand scoop or net the fish into the display.

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi , anyway you look at it all fish should be QTed. Whether you do it yourself or pay extra for a QTed fish. I spent too many years trying Ich/ mgmt/ eradification.

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thats why shops like Pro Reef and Island Fish and Scale and TSM are so beautifully rare and special. This is exactly what they are doing.
Hi I never heard of Pro Reef, Island Fish anf Scale and TSM. I been out of the game for awhile, but I still enjoy visiting stores in case I get dragged into the dark side again lol. Seems that you really like these stores, are they big? Im debating on taking a drive soon

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I bought a QTed Achilles, broomtail wrasse and clown trigger from TSM over the last 2 years with no issues

Attachments

• 65A76AFA-01A3-4920-A3D2-013D6AD900C1.jpeg
    65A76AFA-01A3-4920-A3D2-013D6AD900C1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • AB4A6EF2-5AAB-4DD2-B089-4C0164CA69B1.jpeg
    AB4A6EF2-5AAB-4DD2-B089-4C0164CA69B1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
  • FF1B1CF3-B435-4B09-B3D1-A33628889BB2.jpeg
    FF1B1CF3-B435-4B09-B3D1-A33628889BB2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • EE4AFDC8-9809-4204-B6D9-FA2D62DBC60A.jpeg
    EE4AFDC8-9809-4204-B6D9-FA2D62DBC60A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 51

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
BTW the broomtail and Achilles were bucket fish I’ve had broomtails over the last 15 yrs but I couldn’t get them to reach show size. He is close!! Achilles was first from TSM so I monitored him in observation tank cause he is much more susceptible to disease like ICH. Thanks

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
BTW the broomtail and Achilles were bucket fish I’ve had broomtails over the last 15 yrs but I couldn’t get them to reach show size. He is close!! Achilles was first from TSM so I monitored him in observation tank cause he is much more susceptible to disease like ICH. Thanks
TSM puts their fish through quite the QT cycle. After purchasing, did you still put it through your normal QT process or a abbreviated one?

slyseekr

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks all for your replies.

Agree that QT is absolutely necessary when adding new fish. I guess the question of purchasing from Country Critters is worth the risk was also answered, esp. since it seems they don't necessarily honor their guarantees on such rare and expensive fish!

Also agree on TSM and the value they bring to our hobby with their own QT process. I recently purchased and added a Masked Swallowtail from them, it's doing splendidly and ate everything from day 1.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Wow. I moved to the city a couple of years ago, but know of Country Critters for many, many years. First when Steve ran the shop and then when Johnathan took over. So my opinion is old.

For me, the staff is very knowledgeable about reef. I also found them going the extra mile. They are full service and also know a lot on other needed items, such as plumbing, etc. I was told, because I had a club checking card, that I must be one of their oldest customers... LOL

Sometimes they did not have tanks up to par, but that was a rare occasion. I am talking about a period of over 20 years... They were excellent over the many years, I was a customer. Don't know about now.

I relied on them many years, for quality expertise.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: