oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
This thread is to document my progress with culturing Tisbe copepods. Its in the DIY section because I'm culturing the copepods myself instead of purchasing. :thrash:

A couple of months ago I purchase a bottle of Tisbe pods. I didn't really have a need for pods since my fuge is always crawling with them. But I had the livestock credit and didn't really need any fish, coral (gasp), or other goods.

I poured 80% of the bottle in my 120g and saved the rest to pour into my 65g. Two days passed, and the remaining 20% was still sitting in the bottle on top of the tank, and I never got around to pouring the remainder into the 65g.

Another few days went by and I attended a LIRA meeting where I won a raffle of Reef Nutrition products, which included Phyto Feast.

I added a few drops of the Phyto Feast into the the tisbe bottle and swirl it around and left it to sit there. Every 2 days or so I would give it a swirl. Fast forward about a month later, and the bottle is crawling with tisbe copepods....way more than was present when the bottle was full.

So I did this for about 1.5 months and then started to read up on how to culture these things.

I had almost everything I needed...
An air pump
Lots of airline tubing
A container to culture the copepods
All I needed was an airline control valve which I picked up a few weeks ago at the last LIRA meeting at Caribbean Blue Aquatics.

I'm using an old dosing container that has 3 chambers, at 1500ml each.
I fill each chamber to 1000ml saltwater at 48ms
Added phyto feast
Split the remaining culture in the bottle into 3 and added a small portion to each section
Turned on air-pump, and dialed down the bubble.

I'm hoping for this setup to be successful, or at least get the same success I had when the bottle was just sitting on top of the tank and growing these tisbe copepods like crazy without any airflow, and oftentimes, little to no phyto.

If I have any success with this setup, I will be trying to grow the copepods with live phyto and compared growth to using Reef Nutrition phyto feast.

I'm getting the live phyto from nuch (MR member), many thanks.

Attachments

• 2017-05-14 20.52.27.jpg
    2017-05-14 20.52.27.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 499

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I got a fresh brewed batch of phyto last night and will be topping up the culture tonight. I can already see the copepod culture water is getting clearer (less green). The plan is to take some before/after pictures before dosing the phyto.

I can also see copepods growing. They start off as white-almost clear, and then turn black as they grow.

They are so tiny, I'm having a hard time (near impossible) to capture them on a video.

I see there are some magnifying-zoom lens selling that clips onto the back of a phone.

Has anyone used this, and if so, would it be able to capture these tiny pods?

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Fresh batch of Phyto on hand.

1st Picture - Copepod culture running low on Phyto in all 3 sections (getting clearer). Compared that to the newly arrived live phyto in the poland spring bottles (much darker green color).

Attachments

• 2017-05-17 20.50.41.jpg
    2017-05-17 20.50.41.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Added half a bottle of live Phyto to the first 2 sections and added Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast to the 3rd section. The Phyto Feast is super concentrated so I only added a few drops. You can see the differences in the coloration. The Phyto Feast is a darker-brownish coloration. I also added a couple of drops of Phyto Feast to the algagen tisbe bottle which still has some copepods growing. I figure since I had success in the bottle for the past 2 months I should keep it going.

2nd Picture - Live Phyto added to section 1 & 2, and Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast in section 3 and the bottle.

Attachments

• 2017-05-17 20.57.47.jpg
    2017-05-17 20.57.47.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: