A

Anonymous

I have had my 29 Biocube setup for 2 weeks. I purchased cured LR form the LFS. After a few days in the tank I added a piece of frozen fish food. The ammonia cycle is coming down and the nitrate has started. In the tank is only LR and circulation. I have siphoned out what has come out of the rocks.

Question is i am planning on adding Carrib Sea live sand (I know its not live). When should I add that? Now or let the rock/tank cycle for a while longer?

A

Anonymous

I would add it now, as any dead material in the sand will continue the cycle for a bit longer

A

Anonymous

I was more worried about the junk still coming out of the LR.

A

Anonymous

true, the LR will likely have much more detritus, but there is likely enough dead material in the sand to start another minicycle if you wait till the LR cycle is done - why wait, put it in now, and finish the cycle in one fell swoop.

A

Anonymous

I'd do it now, waiting will only increase the cycle time. Since there is only LR/sand, I'd add a powerhead or two to keep the gack in suspension and try and filter it out.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 add it now. It probably cloud your water up also for a couple days so get it over with. Once the water is ready for fish your going to want nice clean water not milky looking water from the sand.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":2mevm13p said:
I'd do it now, waiting will only increase the cycle time. Since there is only LR/sand, I'd add a powerhead or two to keep the gack in suspension and try and filter it out.
Ding ding ding!

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the dead sand will not effect the cycle time. But I would suggest adding it soon just to give a place for some of the sand dwelling critters that might be in the rock you have to live. If the rock was uncured saying bare bottom would be a good idea so you could siphon out detritus, but with cured rock it should not be much of an issue.

Kim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: