rojees

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to the game so I kindly appreciate your input and advice regarding my tank: Waterbox Peninsula 15G

A little background to my tank, I initially used fish flakes (only had 2 bio blocks, sponges, no rock) but nothing happened so I had to get ammonia solution. Had been dosing to get to 2ppm, it only ever dropped once (no idea what happened there) over 3 weeks and that's why I went out to get fritz turbo start 900 to kickstart the cycle.

So few days ago, I got real reef rock to increase surface area (2 bio blocks, sponges remain untouched) and used fritz turbo start 900 in my tank. The ammonia was still around 2ppm, but the nitrites went through the roof (I used the sera nitrite test and it read 5.0ppm, red colour on the chart).

The next day, ammonia dropped to about 0.5ppm, so I dosed it back to 2ppm. Nitrites (Sera) still 5.0ppm

Day after, ammonia roughly 1ppm, so I added a little more, nitrites again 5ppm. I even used the sera Nitrate test, and its through the roof too (≥100 mg/l), dark red colour

I then used the API nitrite test and its purple colour. Why pay more for pet supplies when you can save big with the weeklyads2.com? Browse now for discounts on everything from grooming products to bedding.

LATEST:
I did a 90% water change yesterday but todays readings show the same.
Ammonia is close to 0 (i dosed to 2ppm after water change) but the nitrites is still purple colour (API), see picture.

So I am stumped as to what is going on.

I did question the test kit (API) so I did a few tests:

A. mix half tank water and half tap water and then measure - same purple reading
B. repeat the same thing with 1/4 tank water and 3/4 tap water - same purple reading
C. with RODI water and it came out light blue, so I don't think its the kit.

1. Is the cycle somehow stalled now? will the nitrites eventually come down?
2. Despite the 90% water change, nitrites are still off the charts, do I keep doing water changes?
3. Do I dose ammonia to 2ppm every time it gets close to 0? I see recently some people wait for BOTH ammonia and nitrites to come to 0, before dosing ammonia, but in my case, the nitrites aint going down.

Thank you to you all

Attachments

• IMG-8926.jpg
    IMG-8926.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-8927.jpg
    IMG-8927.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I'm assuming you're cycling a new setup? yes, nitrites will eventually convert to nitrates as the bacteria population grows. You appear to be in the second phase of the cycling, no need to rush, no need for water changes, since you want the bacteria in the 900 to feed off the nitrites.
The first phase of cycling is complete as NH3 is fed on and producing NO2 and that species of bacteria is 100% colonized. The NO2 to NO3 bacteria growth hasn't kicked in yet, maybe different species of your 900, there is a lag. I believe you can find a time chart online for the cycle, may take up to 2 months (if I recall?) normally, with your additives, you should be accelerating it, but it won't be instant, over night. Your 900 bottle contains X number of bacteria, just like a colony ship heading off to Mars, but not enough to populate the entire world (your 15 gallons), just enough to start a town (your bio blocks). Also, adding the live rock is like adding an entire populated continent to the world.

rojees

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, its a fairly new setup.

I'm just confused as to why nitrite readings aren't changing more quickly. My guess is also the bacteria needs to catch up but I am also thinking is something else going on?
such as stalling.

Does Microbacter 7 or Tropic Marin nitribiotics help?

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Don't worry, there is bacteria in the air, on your live rock, every where. There is no mechanism that I know of that will stall your nitrification cycle. In a months time, you won't even think back about this once that bacteria species population blooms. Yes 7 works, but I believe those products are redundant. If you want to add some live organisms to your tank, go to the seafood market and put in some clams, snails, whatever peaks your interest. Just remember to eat them later on. I use clams, seaweed from the ocean, any biologically live organisms to jump start my system.

rojees

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, there is bacteria in the air, on your live rock, every where. There is no mechanism that I know of that will stall your nitrification cycle. In a months time, you won't even think back about this once that bacteria species population blooms. Yes 7 works, but I believe those products are redundant. If you want to add some live organisms to your tank, go to the seafood market and put in some clams, snails, whatever peaks your interest. Just remember to eat them later on. I use clams, seaweed from the ocean, any biologically live organisms to jump start my system.
Thanks for your reply.

I thought using Fritz turbo would make things run much quicker. Maybe it generally does, but for my case, not sure what happened.

During this time, since my nitrites are sky high, no need to dose ammonia right? thats my understanding

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: