cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
So I just started a 30rr and put in dead sand and grabbed a softball size piece of LR from my other tank. Is that enough to start the cycle? I have a shrimp I bought should I add that also?

2reef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use a product called microbacter7 to help cycle the tank faster
With MB7, you could have livestocks in as little as two days
I used it on my last 2 set and a lot of folks are using them too

Chihuahua6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I would add as much rock as the tank will have when it's running plus the piece of shrimp (or several little pieces). You want the bacteria to colonize all of your rock. Then sit and wait.
Don't add the Damsel. It's very hard on the fish and if it lives you'll be stuck with a mean little fish that you will hate in due time (with the exception of a few more peaceful varieties).

bigcapct

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
i would add as much rock as the tank will have when it's running plus the piece of shrimp (or several little pieces). You want the bacteria to colonize all of your rock. Then sit and wait.
Don't add the damsel. It's very hard on the fish and if it lives you'll be stuck with a mean little fish that you will hate in due time (with the exception of a few more peaceful varieties).

+1!

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I only added the one piece because the rock I plan to use was left in standing water and had lots of die off. So I am soaking in vinegar and then bleach. When I return from China I will finish cleaning it and then add it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: