Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Im thinking about trying out a d/c controlable return pump for my system .i dont have much head pressure or distance to go with my return line .this is my first d/c pump so i figured i would ask and see what is everyones using and which to stay away from ..i have a panworld now thats been with me for many years but im starting to hear bearing noise

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I ha e a 300 gallon marineland tank with the 2 corner overflows .i wonder what the max flow rate would be for them
What size pipe you have coming out of the bottom of the tank on each overflow?
You want the return pump to return around 1500 gph, with head height figured in. More is not better here.
300 gal x 5 = 1500 gph

Can tell you that even if the overflow is one inch on each of the 2 overflows, that can be done.
1" pipe can handle 800-850 gph if air is going down the same pipe, more if air is going down a separate pipe. As with a herbie type overflow.
800-850 gph x 2 = 1600 -1700

Save energy? idk, could check the wattage of comparable gph pumps. DC pumps certainly run cooler, and for the most part quieter.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: