MikeyNYC

Ol' Skool
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
That is pretty terrible! The ol' mighty dollar strikes again.

These happen for a reason sometimes, it might the end of one seascape, but the beginning of a new. The end result whether that be good or bad will probably remain to be seen in our generation.

leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thats sad but I am not surprised. Especially when you are dealing with island folk. Life is a lot less demanding and people get by on the bare minimum. I wish I could do the same as the article says:

"Some Pacific countries, like Kiribati, are populated by what ethnologists call nonconsumers: people who need just a little cash to get by and once that need is met, prefer to spend time with their family, go fishing or sleep."

Imagine if we had to live by the "pubusi" rule. Reefing would be a completely isolated, underground practice. lol

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I think this is another reason why we should be more responsible with the decisions we make within our hobby. This may sound lame to some reefers but I try to stock my tank with captive breed fish and frags from fellow members even though it limits your choices as far as live stock goes.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
did anyone else think the "global warming" references were crammed in there for no reason?

The problem had to do w/ the farmed algae growing faster than the government is willing to buy so now it's taking over and killing the reefs. Not sure why they had to cram in some scary global warming assumptions at the end.

nytimes, shame on you

pubusi me some frags...

oh snap he pubusi'd you! start bagging them up

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
I think they threw in global warming because they believe that if the growing of algae had not have been used to suck up carbon, there would not have been algae in that area, let alone excess.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think they threw in global warming because they believe that if the growing of algae had not have been used to suck up carbon, there would not have been algae in that area, let alone excess.

did you read the article? Maybe i missed it, I thought it said the algae was planted for farming/cultivation because it is used as an additive in foods (like ice cream), but it grows so fast that supply has exceeded demandl.

The article said that if people could sell all the algae like originally intended, the reef would have been picked clean by the locals by now. They didn't plant it to "suck up carbon"

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
It wasn't explicitly in that article but from another article algae was cultivated because it helped absorb carbon dioxide and it could be used as food.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: