darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So there is something up with my tank and I hope a large water change and good cleaning during my move will help.

I've lost the following in 2 1/2 months:
-potter's angelfish
-one of my clams
-sunset monti
-birdsnest
-dendro
-favia
-toadstool

My acans are losing heads and my fungia is barely holding on. No other corals are showing problems. I have no idea what it is and my params have barely changed with the exemption of my phosphates (which are going down) and the cyano is subsiding with the help of my mangroves/caulerpa in the sump.

temp:76
salinity: 1.025
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
calcium: 420
alk: 8
phosphates: 1.5

No dosing and 15-20% weekly water changes

I guess we'll see how it turns out after this weekend's move

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I lost almost all of my corals. :banghead: Only a handful of zoas and possibly my pipe organ made it. This hobby can get very depressing seeing animals not making it. All of my fish and even my squamosa clam made it though! I guess the tanks going to be mainly fowlr until I can get enough money to start collecting corals again.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Ray, I am so sorry for your losses!;( I know how you are feeling, but please do not give up!

I have you tested your mag level? I'd like to see that alk a little (very little) higher, but do nothing until you know what the mag is. If your mag is at atleast 1300, then address the alk.

BTW, I just found another branch of my turquoise stag that was broken off. I'll have it ready for you when your ready for it.;)

Another thing to remember is that your tank is in it's infancy, it is only approximately 8 months. Don't beat yourself up, these things happen. Took my tank darn near 2 years to get it together my reef is 3 years old now.;) I say it was from last year to now that it started looking as you saw it.;)

Last edited:

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thank you Awi! I look forward to having a coral from you in my tank.

The worse part about losing my corals was that they did not survive the hospital tank that I had them in. They had existing tank water and new water but I guess the move itself didn't help. The clam was in the same water so I have no idea why the clam would make it and the corals not.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
What corals did you loose? Could be that as you stated they just could not handle the move.:( But sometimes we just never figure out what exactly happens.
Had you set up the tank with existing water, and cured lr from your other tank?
Just give me a call when ever you want to pick up the stag.;)

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I lost some zoas, all candy canes, both fungias that looked like they were coming back, both acans, all ricordias, and some xenia.

For the move, a 30 gallon tank was set up using 3/4 existing water and a handfull of live rock from the tank. They were only in the tank for two days with a powerhead and heater.

There is concern to take a coral from you when I have not had much luck at all with sps. I would feel bad to take such a friendly gesture for it to die in my tank.

The good news is that my rbta has opened and it is splitting and my snowflake has reached 13 inches so far! Here are some pics of the new aquascape and my fish. (Don't mind the dirty glass!)

And a group shot

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Excellent news concerning the rbta!:) Funny thing is my rbta also split yesterday morning.lol Must be Spring moons!lol

Could your corals have been a little to close for comfort? Let's remember their reach here.;) What we may think is far enough may not be what the coral thinks.:(

As far as the stag frag is concerned it isn't going anywhere until you feel your tank is ready for it.;) Doesn't matter how long that is.:hug:

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
its possible but they were spread out over a 30 breeder so I would think there was enough room. The move was so crazy I don't remember anything about it anymore! :eek: And thank you again for your kindness :hug:

darkdrako

Looks mean doesn't she!?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Wow! I had not idea that I haven't updated in almost a year! And thank you Awi for your birthday wishes.

The reef is still going. I just replaced all of my T5 and am trying to start building up my coral collection again. Nothing too fancy. Just a photosynthetic purple gorgonia, favias, red dragon blasto, frogspawn. My gsp is still growing like crazy and my anemones are bigger than ever.

My stocking has changed since my last update but still have all of my previous fish.
-pair of yellow stripe maroon clowns
-clouded wrasse
-fisher's angel
-lawnmower blenny
-snowflake eel (almost 20" long!)
New additions around October, 2010.
-yellow tang
-porcupine puffer

Currently have a 65 fowlr with just a niger triggerfish that either needs company soon or its gonna go into the reef tank. Maybe the puffer will be relocated.

Also started to work on my 12g nanocube again and started my first freshwater planted tank as well.

On top of all that, I purchased a female eclectus parrot from the petstore I work at part-time so there is alot going on!

I plan on attending the spring frag swap so the reef can start to fill again.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Look Ray, she is doing great. Thank you so very much for the RBTA. Love the colors on it. It is so vibrant, and has brought so much color to my tank.

BTW, love your eclectus parrot! She is beautiful.;)

Also, thank you for the other goodies. You are the best!!!!!:hug:

Attachments

• Ray's RBTA.JPG
    Ray's RBTA.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 80

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: