PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
i have also heard that Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab eat bacteria also..but do they actually make a difference?

Do the cleanup crew actually make a huge difference in cyanobacteria and hair algea etc?? If they do...im gona go out a buy a lot :D
ALso, about how many hermits etc, in a 90gal would make a difference?

Last edited:

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
One thing I've noticed with cyano in my tank: the right side of the tank gets direct evening sunlight and this is the ONLY spot where I get cyano. Anyone else noticed this?

triggerhappy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Im having a problem with the red slyme stuff but i only developed after my tank has been hitting high temps 82 sometimes 83. Does anyone know if there is corralation between temps and cyano? waiting for chiller as we speak should be here monday by the way.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
poland-no they dont eat cyano.they eat the deitrus that cyano and algae thrive
thesauce-yes direct sunlight is prob the cause of that 1 spot getting cyano
triggerhappy--im going to guess that it is a cause because food is rotting at a faster rate in warm,er waters

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
my tanks have gotten direct sunlight for the last 3 yr's. never caused it, how old are you bulbs ? low flow, old bulbs, high nutrients are usually the cause, do you use frozen food ? do you rinse it ?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
so let me ask you this..i usually feed my tank at 4pm..should i feed it later in the day so lights go out sooner.reason why im asking is my clean up crew is out in force when lights go out and the food will have less time to sit and quicker grabbed up.

thesauce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Temperature is a contributor to cyano growth. Higher temp also accelerates the metabolism of fish and their waste output. I noticed a huge difference when I installed my chiller last year. I also wonder if perhaps run off from the rainy season contributes some extra nutrients and dissolved solids to our tap water that RO/DI units are unable to extract? This might help explain some of the yearly blooms.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
so after 3 weeks of heavy skimming ,letting the cyano build up and syphoning it up,adding alot of chaeto to my fuge and large water change i need to say the cyano is dieing off .i added no chemicals to kill it off i just worked on it aggressively and its paid off..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: