fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My tank is cloudy, two fish died, my girlfriend thinks its the wandering sprits of the fish, but i think shes crazy ;) it looks like there is a cloud just running around the top of my aquarium, i took all of the fish out and put them in my 46 gallon, i had 3 fish in there and the tank was set up and cycled in 3 weeks, they were swimming at the top like they couldnt breathe so i did a water change and it seemed to help but they eventually went back to the top, what can i do to get the cloudiness away and make my tank normal again :givebeer:

Last edited:

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Cycle for 3 weeks then you added 3 fish? Way too fast man.

Do some more little water changes and keep an eye on it. Do all the boring water testing stuff and make sure the param are in touch.

Cloudy is bacteria outbreak, way too much CAL, lots of stuff. Just keep changing the water. And dont add anything else for a good month! :)

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If this was a brand new set up, 3 weeks is a very short period of time for a new tank to cycle. Were you doing a fishless cycle, or did you add fish to speed along the process? Did you use existing sand/rock and such from another system, or was it all new?

The advice I would give is to give the livestock to the LFS for credit or to another member in your area and wait it out so the tank cycles fully before adding anything. Water changes very often will only prolong the cycle, if there is livestock in the tank though they are very neccessary but imo, I don't think you should have anything in there just yet.

Can you offer more information on your set up and what you have done in the past three weeks so those of us here can offer a bit more information to get you on the right track? :)

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ok cloudiness ni the water, my tank cycled, i used half already cycled water and already cured live rock, th tank barely wen through a cycle, now both of my tanks are cloudy with the same "death cloud" its just a cloud running around my water, ive done water changes, im using algone, amquel nitrite nitrate ammonia remover, idk what to do about it, nothing i working.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
ok cloudiness ni the water, my tank cycled, i used half already cycled water and already cured live rock, th tank barely wen through a cycle, now both of my tanks are cloudy with the same "death cloud" its just a cloud running around my water, ive done water changes, im using algone, amquel nitrite nitrate ammonia remover, idk what to do about it, nothing i working.

Patience my friend :D Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby ... did you test the tank? What were the readings you got? 3 weeks is an EXTREMELY short period of time. Stop using the chemicals and disrupting the natural process your tank is undergoing ...

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
OK i agree with everyone but i think we need more info. on your set up i'v added 12 damsels to a costom 90 gal the very next day after set up .I only lost 1 no problems after that.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
OK i agree with everyone but i think we need more info. on your set up i'v added 12 damsels to a costom 90 gal the very next day after set up .I only lost 1 no problems after that.

Ancient method of cycling the tank ... people still do it ... but it's not necessary ... plus from the sound of this tank not even the damsels will survive. :D

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
nitrite 0 spiked already nitrate 0 ammonia 0 ph was low but now its back up to 8.0 using a buffer, just removed all the live rock and put about 1 10 lb piece so all the detritus will be eaten by my hermits and snails. pretend i have no fish lol

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
the tank never really cycled all tiny spikes and than went back down to 0, i forgot to mention i added all of the fish to a 46 g i had that was already set up and running , it had no "death coud" and than i started to feed the fish and after a few days the cloud appeared? idk what the hell it is and ive never had this problem.

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yeah but my info on the two posts doesnt really add up, i cant really explain my whole situation very well to people and i finally got the answer to my question on that post but i did cancel all the coral orders and waitnig for my tank to clear up and start doing well before i re order them lol.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
yeah but my info on the two posts doesnt really add up, i cant really explain my whole situation very well to people and i finally got the answer to my question on that post but i did cancel all the coral orders and waitnig for my tank to clear up and start doing well before i re order them lol.

Gotcha ... so what happened to fish from the other post? Not trying to pick on you here ... it really makes absolutely no sense ... do you have one tank or two?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: