MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after several months of back and forth, I have come full circle. My wife and I have decided on a 60g cube and I will make the stand and canopy myself. I can do a way way better job for half the price... No that does not mean that if I did it for you, it would be half the price. but it would be better. PICS and build thread to come...Besides, I can make the interior over 24 inches so I can get an off the shelf refugium in there...

As far as the tank, I can not find a tank only solana xl60. It is going to need to be custom. Shipping is a killer and any place outside of my area has mixed reviews and I would hate to get stuck with a big headache... Locally I have 1000 Island Aquariums and World Class. The language barrier at 1000 island is going to be a huge issue. It is a shame because the sank I saw there was perfect. But in trying to just tell him "I want the same tank as this" took 20 minutes.

Down the road at World class... Well lets just leave that one for now.

So I went to a close to LFS and was quoted just over $200 for the marineland. No Starphire glass but at that price I think it is better than taking the chance on the language issue and wind up with a tank that I hate because of a misunderstanding...

I would go Acrylic but that whole alcohol cause craze thing scares the hell out of me and I cant stand scratches. So I think i should go with the $200+ marineland tank. Even though the bulkheads are in the back...

Last edited:

lo7100

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You must be kidding about the language stuff. I think you should talk to people at the front desk not the workers in the shop. The shop is their family business and they are the 3rd generation of American chinese. In fact, I believe their son is the owner of CAD and his name is Eddie. But I'm not 100% sure.

MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be kidding about the language stuff. I think you should talk to people at the front desk not the workers in the shop. The shop is their family business and they are the 3rd generation of American chinese. In fact, I believe their son is the owner of CAD and his name is Eddie. But I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry, I meant the language barrier at 1000 island, and I meant no disrespect. Their tanks looked great but I had a very difficult time getting them to understand that I wanted the tank right in front of them. When I asked if it came in a box so I can transport it, the language barrier became even more difficult. I may still go their and see if I can just get their display tank as it was just what I wanted... I would hate to order a tank and it has some slight difference that can be attributed to a misunderstanding and thus paid $600 for something I am not happy with. But what I saw was perfect so I may go back.

The CAD lighting connection explains the huge discount on the CAD lights...

MHG

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
success. I got that floor maodel. After careful inpection it was obvious the tank I was looking at was a production tank. It was flanked by two other tanks that they made. After talking to the lovely women behind the counter, I bought the floor model without the stand at a good price...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: