MCRONI19

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it may be a little hard to read. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of this set up so that i can plan and buy the correct things. This would be used on a 75 gallon salt tank with mostly fish and soft corals. The area i have in question is in reference to the final sump pump. I was thinking of eliminating a smaller pump i had put in place dedicated for the protein skimmer and buying one pump large enough to give me sufficient return back to the tank and run the skimmer. I wanted to regulate my pressures with a series of gate valves on all returns

Has anyone run a set up like this before? I think it looks ok on paper, but Im not sure how the pumps will hold up if i put a constant resistance on them like that.
Do you think i will be able to get enough velocity running through the venturi to feed adequate bubbles into the skimmer? (with the larger pump i know i will have to close down the volume of water to the skimmer quite a bit. not sure the effect it would have on pressure and ability to pull air in.

Just curious on your thoughts

thanks.
There are a bunch of high output underwater sump pumps here.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdo ... |100046313

Attachments

• Wetdry diagram.jpg
    Wetdry diagram.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 272

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of feeding it via the return pump I would use the over flow line. You may also want to add another baffle or two between the skimmer and return pump. If this is a reef tank you may also want to remove those bio balls.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Rascal about not using the bio balls if this is a reef. They just get all poopy. Also Im not giving you an art award for your drawing ;) lol jk

MCRONI19

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i cant argue with you on the picture haha i dont claim to be any kind of artist....i was pretty happy just to be able to get my thoughts out in that form rather than try and type that whole thing...hopefully its still worth at least a few hundred words if not 1000...

Having said that im not sure i understand the first recommendation...about feeding with the overflow line??? Ive never seen a Skimmer setup that put water in through the collection tank. im pretty sure that would defeat the purpose. If you take a look at where i feed water into the skimmer.....the question relates to setting it up as in the picture or setting up with a pump that ONLY supplies the skimmer (AND NOT BACK TO THE TANK)

Purpose is to run fewer pumps and spend money one one that should be a little more reliable instead of a few lower output, lower quality pumps...

noted on the bio-balls. those are out.....

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think you would have a very good performing skimmer if you arranged it that way. You are going to have to crank way down on the skimmer valve to not have all the flow going through the skimmer. Once that happens you will not have much velocity in the skimmer line to get the venturi to suck much air. If it was just a feed line and have the venturi on the recirculation line it would probably work, but IMO it would be a better set up to feed the skimmer form the drain and have the venturi on the recirculation loop.

A little hydro.

Lines in parallel have equal losses. Lines in series have equal flow.

Losses are lift from water surface to water surface + friction losses.

Also, do not use a one way check valve. They foul up, break and produce lots of line losses. Much better to have anti syphon holes in your return plumbing. The are little holes about 1/4" in diameter right below the operating water level in you tank. I suggest two holes. Never know when a snail will park over one.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: