• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

joereefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Newbie: I have 4 months with this tank and at first I thought it was diatoms now I'm starting to believe it is something else? HELP

17e8bbed8204ebc89de00f080ed585a5.jpg
8dd497528a974ff2e8979d9348be6438.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cyano will come off the the sand in mats. If there are strings of this coming off the rocks with bubbles it could be Dino's. I confirmed with a microscope that I had Dino's a few months ago. Lost a few colonies of acros. Dino's are the scourge of Satan.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Cyano will come off the the sand in mats. If there are strings of this coming off the rocks with bubbles it could be Dino's. I confirmed with a microscope that I had Dino's a few months ago. Lost a few colonies of acros. Dino's are the scourge of Satan.

+1, i crash my tank because of Dino.

NStephenson

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What water parameters have you tested?

Without seeing those results, I'd just recommend the following. Increase flow so less detritus ends up on the sandbed. Ensure proper skimming to reduce waste in the water., Increase the clean up crew (no crabs or snails in site in those photos). I would also recommend you reduce feeding portions for while so less nutrients are in the water column.

Post some test results to. That'd help out a lot. Let us know how it goes...

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I will say NO .
no water change, that what Dino like, ( water change), i read most of that crazy thread ( 221 page.)
No 3 days dark etc. The more you ignore, the longer take , the worst will be, Best , NO sand, NO water change, lots of flow, blow rocks, reduce time light 4-6 hrs. run lots of A.C. then start the treatment.
Metronidazole do the trick (of course remove the AC during the treatment).

I try to help a friend right now.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
To me it just looks like algea
leave it alone
Get a sand sifting star and some nassarius snails
+1 on reduce/slightly-lower lighting (temporarily untill you solve the issue it should usually be on for 7-8 hours) and more flow is always a good thing
And find out where your getting these extra nutrients wheather its not using rodi or too much food eliminating the source will help for the long run

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
In that long thread , explain simple way to identify, most of the time i am very optimist, but to me looks like Dino.
Use a feed pipette to collect a sample of that crazy brown bubble hair Algae , put in one drinking cup , use a straw to mix , until the sample spread on may parts, wait few min. if she regroup, just like before, most like it is Dino, also use a cheep scope, is easy to see.
If , your snail most of the time wont move around, just stay in one corner , do NOT add more, there are more then 2200 species of Dino, some easy to deal some very hard to kill. Increase water flow , use filter sock, clean every day for a week, blow that hair from rocks, siphon first coat of sand, to remove most of the algae, decrees lights time, if is coming back ( i hope NOT) then you have to use that antibiotic.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: