A

Anonymous

Does appear to be a bivalve species yes, but I can't begin to say which species.

I always love it when those guys show up though. 8)

Guzman

Active Reefer
saw in the other post you mentioned they are "great' ... what are they "great" for? Just wondering what i need to know about them. Thanks!

mokeyz

Reefer
well, they are a filter feeder so they are good for your tank and they are interesting. i have 3 that are alive and have had them since September.

Kez432

Reefer
while all are filter feeders some are photosynthetic,,Keep it in the light to observe if a mantle is produced
Feeding may be problematic as far as findind a food
using the finest food for filter feeders is a safe bet
be careful not to ruin your water quality with over feeding
a problem most experience when useing phytoplankton

Yep, I would say so its a bi-valve of the clam species. It will be cool to see how it flouesecents under some T5's or 165w 03 Actinic PC's.
I found a baby clam recently after turning over some Tonga rocks in my 30gal reef. The reef has been established for 5 years and it was time for some changes in the interior. The little guy had been incubating under this rock for atleast as long as Ive had the rocks(5 years), it just now is getting any light. The dude is transparent, looks like the BIG callous on the bottom of my foot! It is getting some cloloring tint to it like purple and blue with a white mantle.........the innerds are looking like plates stacked on top of each other looking at it from a side view, Iam curious if it isnt an Oyster.
Its grown about 1/2" in length and 1/2" wide=3"L X 1.5"W since finding it a couple weeks ago.
Keep the Ca hi around 460 or 480 and Knopp makes a Vitamin F, as in 'Filter Feeder' liquid food thats great. I feed the entire tank with cyclops and Mysid shrimp and Prime Reef soaked in a Selcon float.
Do a '1 drop a week' of iodine.
Keep it 'Lean' at 3 feedings a day and either drip Kalkwasser or CO2 inject//sitrrer with a reactor along with a refugium and all should be fine.
Clams are almost like caring for Pulsating Xenia's, I use a Nano Fission Current skimmer, Calupera & Condai Talori Macro-Algae, peramiters @ 1.023-1.025 SPG, 78.5F, ammonia poly-filter,=0 phophates, 0 Nitrates, 0 Nitrites and as I use, Seachem Reef Salt totally, then every 10 days, do a 10% water change.

Iam Beginning to really love this Life!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: