evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
So over this past weekend, my family hit a HUGE disaster!

Quick explanation can be found here:
http://statter911.com/2013/03/31/ra...ds-to-attic-in-teaneck-nj-evacuation-ordered/

Yes, this was my temp house while I was trying to buy a house from August-February.

My family was expected to move out in 2 weeks April 15 but disaster struck first! So now they are staying with me for the time being but some will actually permanently live with me.

I'm sorry but PSE&G, electric and gas bill is insane, and I expect it to only rise as time passes. The most effective way to reduce will either to completely sell my tank or set it up for FOWLR which is what I prefer. I'd go with something ridiculously low power like 2bulb 48" T5Ho. Run only the bare minimum and sell off any unnecessary equipment.

Should I stay strong on the hobby or should I do what's more comfortable? I can estimate savings on water, electricity, reduce potential disasters of leaving the water flood, possible salt creep + fire (has happened to my grandfather!), and the itch to PURCHASE more things for the tank.

I just got back my tank and hate to have to leave again but with everything happening I am somewhat confused what I should do and want to do!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I would be taking over watching over my aunt that doesn't work but can watch my kids and my little sister which is 21 and a nuisance more than helpful!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
80db w 40b sump
maxpect 170w
300w heater
sea aquatics cs1 skimmer
2x mp10Wes
big return pump

but those are going to be the main power eaters.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Overall, I think I would probably half my current electric bill and substantially reduce my water consumption.

I know with my old 45 system it was an additional $50 in electricity consumption. That wasn't using bigger equipment. The wife is a little nervous of possible fires now so that's why I am up in the air.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
That sux man! I've had ti dump tanks in the past and I'm even taking forever with my current build. S*** happens and sometimes our hobby has to go on the back burner for a lil while.
I'd say sell everything, do what you gotta do and know that you'll be back when things are good again

Last edited by a moderator:

Greagzter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Well you got to assess the situation. You could pause for sometime and then get back in to it. Or you could try to make things work.
Try selling of the expensive equipment you have and get something cheaper. If you dont have a booster pump for RO/DI, I suggest you get one, saves a lot of water. 300W heater is way too much. I am using 150W for my 150g DT+30G sump and its fine, never goes on. T5 will eat more energy then leds, at least my did. Dont know how much you paid for the skimmer but if its retail then alot. You could get a Bubble Magus Curve for much less on fish-street.com (shipping will be like $60, I was going to get it from them)
But dont stress it, Im sure you got your hands full right about now.

Last edited by a moderator:

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Yeah, I won't be looking to get rid of it if that was my route for a month or two until things settle down.

I can assess then reassess when that time comes. I may look into that booster pump but again don't want to even put more and more money into it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: