Gil2Gil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just got back from 2 weeks in Europe and the tank looks terrible.

First day back was Wednesday morning. There was even algae covering the surface.

Nothing was opening up all the way and the tank looked bad.

I got an extra power head in there to blast everything, did a water change, cleaned the filters and added new phosphate removing pads.

My coral still aren't opening up fully and several are having tissue loss. It's like this stuff burns them.

What to do?!
I just cut the lights to 4 hours and minimum intensity. What else should I be doing?

Gil2Gil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I already removed a ton of t. The only stuff left is on the rocks and floating around till picked up by the filter.

The issue is the coral still isn't fully opening after I cleaned up and did a water change. I now know the water change didn't help the Dino issue, but the coral needed it.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No water changes!!! And something is off in the tank pref beneficial bacteria ... fix that without doing any water changes and you?ll be rid of Dino indef. I grew cheato in my display and let the tank get dirty with minor vacuuming of the dino here and there and that did the trick but it?s not a quick process can be months to get under control ... and Dino X did nothing for me I tried all of it ...

islandreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I just got back from 2 weeks in Europe and the tank looks terrible.

First day back was Wednesday morning. There was even algae covering the surface.

Nothing was opening up all the way and the tank looked bad.

I got an extra power head in there to blast everything, did a water change, cleaned the filters and added new phosphate removing pads.

My coral still aren't opening up fully and several are having tissue loss. It's like this stuff burns them.

What to do?!
I just cut the lights to 4 hours and minimum intensity. What else should I be doing?
Hello GilzGil
I just went thru a dyno out break in my Reef tank as well... I was out of town and came back to a disaster of this black slime all over my corals ...with tons of bubbles on them as well... this is the 2nd time I have this happen in 15yrs... the best solution is turn the lights strictly off for 3 full days, you must wrap the tank glass closed either with cardboard or black plastic bags, it must not have any light filter in.. you will not lose fish or coral (due to this process)after the 3 days..it should be cleared up, get a Turkey baster and blow off the dead algae and do a water change I think after this.. presto!! All gone...
PS.
Do this immediately before it wipes out your tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gil2Gil

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does it sound normal that the coral is having tissue loss?

All the parameters in the tank are spot on. This is an old system, about 3 years old. The frags use to be frags 3 years ago. Big mature colony's loosing skin. Especially my hammer and frog spawn. The torch is next. They're all deflated. Not fully closed, just hanging.

The temps are fine. Everything is normal.

I cut the lights off and I'm wrapping it. I don't think it'll be 100% light free, but pretty close. These coral are weak so I'm pretty nervous about them making it through thjs

islandreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

All the parameters in the tank are spot on. This is an old system, about 3 years old. The frags use to be frags 3 years ago. Big mature colony's loosing skin. Especially my hammer and frog spawn. The torch is next. They're all deflated. Not fully closed, just hanging.

I cut the lights off and I'm wrapping it. I don't think it'll be 100% light free, but pretty close. These coral are weak so I'm pretty nervous about them making it through thjs
Yes, tissue lost occurs, what I did once I beat the outbreak... I dosed (restore)this stuff is amazing... it will definitely help restore coral stress and restore their tissue...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I started with Dino on one small coral before it got crazy , but that's the beauty and the devil about Dino outbreaks - literally water parameters will be zeroed out or as close to it - nothing points to why - but that is why through research and depending on the strain of Dino you will find out that Dino is actually competing with all the bacteria in your tank and winning! So either your Pod levels are off, or your beneficial algae is not thriving etc to compete with the Dino to suffocate it out -

Lights off will help but it will come back unless you get your tank back into prime trust me i did this for almost 3 mos and almost gave up 2x even changed out my sand and rocks thinking that would help - wasn't until my tank basically fully cycled 2x over with good bacteria that it disappeared and never came back! (like i said i grew cheato in my main tank which exploded pod population) Don't be afraid to just leave your tank alone - don't change filters, no water changes and keep the skimmer in top shape even wet skim if you have to - only way to beat the DINO!!!

Even calling most LFSs in a 50 mile radius to get advice was not beneficial since most have no clue how to treat this - Patience, keeping tank clean/dirty if that makes sense, focus on adding beneficial algae and bacteria, lights on a very limited timer or no lights at all and waiting - no magic pill for this one unfortunately

Hydrogen Peroxide - 1 ml / 10 gallon water. 3 days will kill dino. You still need to remove it from any corals..

I tried this as well and i think i was at the end of my Dino outbreak because of all the good bacteria i was creating (ich and Dino wiped out my tank so i ended up trying everything!) but the problem is with Hydrogen Peroxide it kills the good stuff and the bad - so be careful with that

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: