d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
For anyone caring to read.....

If you have large bulky jugs of Ca, Alk, Mg inside tank stand or even outside on the side of the tank as I have seen some you may want to try empty wine, vodka, rum bottles.

Basically anything you drink.

Most aesthetically pleasing dosing containers hold the same amount as empty liquor bottles but cost a fortune.

4 empty 1.5l wine bottles, scrape the labels and glue off and they look just as neat and space saving as the $80 acrylic dosing container.

Just an idea if you have a mess or need space.
We seem to get stuck on the idea that the additives have to be administered solely via bulky gallon jugs or expensive acrylic containers.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
and I can already see someone saying that its not practical because my tank consumes xxxxx ml per day and bla bla bla.

You can also look at it as a safety precaution, should your dosing pump ever be left on or malfunction you can dump in a gallon jug or a 1L or 1.5L bottle worth of additive. Even if your tank consumes a ridiculous amount of additives I am pretty sure you can go 3-4 weeks at a minimum with 1.5L of anything and refill it when you do monthly maintenance.

C

Cu455

Rating - 100%
96   0   0
You get what you pay for. Who knows what those bottles leach or how long it will take for them to break. I don't know about you but I am not willing to risk killing my fish or flooding my house. To much can go wrong using those bottles.

I am joking, its a great idea.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I agree with you, this is why I took every precaution available:

1. I turned them inside out and pressured washed them

2. I then put them in gentle rinse cycle in my washing machine with a cap full of bleach

3. I allowed them to air dry for 49 days

4.After air drying, I turned back inwards, filled with 5% distilled vinegar

5. Sprinkled it with driveway ice melter (the really good kind for reefs, not the one meant for asphalt) and baking soda and finally rinsed in RODI water

It took a few tries, I had a few in the recycling bin to practice with.

You get what you pay for. Who knows what those bottles leach or how long it will take for them to break. I don't know about you but I am not willing to risk killing my fish or flooding my house. To much can go wrong using those bottles.

Attachments

• 20141204_123343_resized (4).jpg
    20141204_123343_resized (4).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 419
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
This isn't really a diy idea.... Its more like find something to replace something. Now if you made the glass yourself, then it would be a diy ;).. Hope that clears up what a diy is :biggrin: Just my opinion.

Last edited:

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Uhm it was diy for the bottles i made . I had to get rigid tubing and drill out 2 holes in the cap and glue the tube in. The other was for air to get in. So yeah it should be considered DIY. Simple and easy yes, but still DIY.

0f359c38ee12d1292ae0aa1d977e9951.jpg

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I have no issues with the definition of do it yourself.

The section I chose to start the thread was the most logical one and it kind of still is.....but...you are the Moderator, if this is not a do it yourself type of idea idea please feel free to move it where ever you feel it fits best.

This isn't really a diy idea.... Its more like find something to replace something. Now if you made the glass yourself, then it would be a diy ;).. Hope that clears up what a diy is :biggrin: Just my opinion.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
In all sense of the definition the concept of re-purposing clean empty bottles for dosing purposes is DIY, so simple of an idea that its not worth debating.

I did however wake up in the mood of becoming a troll again, checking MR's for sale section only and getting tips and ideas elsewhere, might as well join the band wagon, right

Never said I was going to close it or delete it. Just giving my opinion.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: