dannyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 80%
12   3   0
hey guys i have a 50 breeder 36x18x16.

i am looking to see if i have enough flow for my tank. i have 2 loc lines coming from my return pump. i also have 2 hydor nano and a hydor 750 evolution. is that enough or would i need to add more pumps? please help me out. thanks in advance.

Coralreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many factors play out in determining if you have enough flow in your tank. One is as mentioned above by xxxangeloxxx. Other factors are rock and coral placement, position of your powerheads, powerhead efficiency(how well they are running), and types of fish and sessile invertebrates. Often times, water flow becomes a trial and error process as what may be ideal for one aquarium may not be suitable for another aquarium the same size!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
For a 50 breeder with soft corals you appear to be pushing the extreme limit of flow in your tank. You need to factor your main return flow also, which is not mentioned in your post. 2 Loc lines connected to what pump at what hieght?

dannyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 80%
12   3   0
My return pump is a deep blue triton 4 rated at 1050gph. The height is about 5' with the loc line included in the measurement. The pumps are hydor koralia 425 425 and 750gph.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Im confused, the top of your tank, a 50 breeder is 5' vertical feet away from your pump? Or, you have a total of 5' tubing and other line to the ends of the locline? To roughly calculate head pressure you just use the vertical distance from your pump to the outlet. Not horizontal. There are other factors such as 45 or 90 degree angles and friction as the water creates turbulence in non-linear return plumbing.

Just my opinion here but, if you just factor in the maximum rated flow from your powerheads you have 1850 GPH in a 50 gallon tank. 37 times the flow. Adding your Triton pump at a conservative 4' head pressure flow of 500gph you have 47 times the flow in your tank. For soft corals that is a tornado.

I know that is rated flow and the actual flow you get is probably 80% at best and will weaken as they age, but you are still 1000gph too much.
Your Triton pump throttled halfway down with just your nano PH are more than enough.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I would still say you are adding way too much flow.
A triton 3 would be better with your nano Koralias.

JMO, I like dwell time in my sump but on a 50 that is still healthy flow.
I have a 75 with no dead space and I run a Triton 3 and 2 450 Koralias with little to no deadspace. I also have a Triton 3 throttled back about 30% with 5 feet of vertical return.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Im confused, the top of your tank, a 50 breeder is 5' vertical feet away from your pump? Or, you have a total of 5' tubing and other line to the ends of the locline? To roughly calculate head pressure you just use the vertical distance from your pump to the outlet. Not horizontal. There are other factors such as 45 or 90 degree angles and friction as the water creates turbulence in non-linear return plumbing.

Just my opinion here but, if you just factor in the maximum rated flow from your powerheads you have 1850 GPH in a 50 gallon tank. 37 times the flow. Adding your Triton pump at a conservative 4' head pressure flow of 500gph you have 47 times the flow in your tank. For soft corals that is a tornado.

I know that is rated flow and the actual flow you get is probably 80% at best and will weaken as they age, but you are still 1000gph too much.
Your Triton pump throttled halfway down with just your nano PH are more than enough.

1+ Danny if money isn't a option for you can always buy one MP10 and put it on the side tank so it will be able to circuited the water flow on the tank too. You will also save money on electric if you take out all your power heads and just have one MP10 running in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: