Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I need to support my floor? The tank is 178 gal, the stand weighs around 90lbs, the tank weighs 260lbs. The tank is 4 x 3 and on tile, that way laid on wonderboard over the old wood flooring. My house was build in the 1930's. It is sitting against two load bearing walls will three joist going left to right along the front of the tank. The first joist by the load bearing wall was cut into atleast halfway for the HVAC piping and sistered with 2 more 2 x 10's. The joist are 2 x 10's and spaced from the wall first-11"-2nd joist-14.5"-3rd joist 15". So the tank basically sits on the first one that has the cut in it, and the second, the third is just in front of the tank.

This doesnt seem like too much weight to me but figured I would see what everyone thought. If I have to add supports, should I just put 2 x 4's inbtween the basement floor and the joist?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For piece of mind I would. 90+260+3000(estimate with LR and equipment/sump and saltwater weighs more too). 1930's.........well made, but old none the less.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your measurements, Ben, it looks like all three joists are less than 16" on center, yes? And they're all old 2x10 beams? How's the underlayment been holding up? The Hardibacker seriously stiffens things up, so that, I think, would be helping to disperse the weight across these load-bearing joists. I'm thinking they could hold it, but for peace of mind I'd wanna jam in some 4x4's under there. 2x's could probably work, but I'd feel better with 4x's just to be safe.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the advice Marina and Dan. I guess I am off to home depot for some 4 x 4's. The tank is already filling I need to start a tank build thread.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put 2 4x4's under the tank, inbetween cinder blocks and the joist. I did them both right under the center of the tank on the two joist the are most centered under the tank. I also leveled the tank today, so lets hope this holds!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside a catastrophic earthquake (you don't get those out there, do ya?) I think you'll be golden. :D Can't wait to see the tank build thread.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: