pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Curious as to the question of:
Does anyone not treat their tanks when redbugs are discovered?
Seems like I have redbugs once again though probably through one of the ORA frags that I placed in the tank a few months ago. The ORA stuff looked pretty good and the LFS has not had any infestation with his separate ORA only display.
But anyway, I looked at some corals through a magnifying glass a few months ago and redbugs were discovered. I didn't treat at the time because I wanted to see how healthy corals would react, how long before damage would occur, polyp extension rate and if there were obvious decrease, color shift, RTN or STN effect.
So it's been about 4 months now and all the SPS are doing well, growing, have good polyp extension and colors are good IMO. The only SPS that is not doing well is a Borealis but it was also from day one. (Don't worry, I will not trade sell or give away anything from this tank while RB is known to reside)

Last edited:

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I noticed a significant increase in growth rate after I treated for red bugs. The colors also became much more vibrant. I feel its not the end of the world not to treat bc I didnt even kow I had them until a friend pointed it out but IMO it would be extremely silly not too considering it is so easy to fix the problem.

leifkrarup

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leif, are you saying that the Sixline wrasse eats red bugs? That is very interesting.

Yes!...thats a well known fact here in Europe...... there are some individuals who doesn?t take them though.
Also the Pterosynchiropus splendidus (Mandarin Goby) is known to prey on red bugs ...same thing with these though...some individuals dont care.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Unfortunately its not 100% that a fish will fix your problem. The interceptor pill is the right way to go about ridding your tank of red bugs.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yes!...thats a well known fact here in Europe...... there are some individuals who doesn?t take them though.
Also the Pterosynchiropus splendidus (Mandarin Goby) is known to prey on red bugs ...same thing with these though...some individuals dont care.

I guess my Mandarin didn't care for them.LOL:tongue1:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I probably once had them for about a year until one day I discovered them. The rb's typically will not affect the coral unless its severely infested, at that point the coral will look more pale and growth will decrease as well as less polyp extension. I never seen rb's actually cause the acro to RTN or STN though, but I suppose it could.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: