A

Anonymous

Depends on mainly environmental factors (parents, school, type of music it listens to).

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it goes bad over time (I suspect it does, but don't know time frame). I used a really old batch once and my corals were not very happy after about half a gallon, so I did a water change and bought new B-ionic and things returned to normal ... until I boiled my tank ;)

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If exposed to air, sunlight or large temperature swings it will like most chemical compounds go bad or lose its efficacy or potency or in worst case go toxic.

If kept in cool dark storage it should be good for 1 year, 2 at most 3 and you are pushing your luck.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote in to Matthew Alice to ask if shampoo and toothpaste ever go bad. They don't! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leftovers said:
If exposed to air, sunlight or large temperature swings it will like most chemical compounds go bad or lose its efficacy or potency or in worst case go toxic.
quote]

I have no idea about the shelf-life of b-ionic, but I can tell you there are plenty of chemical compounds that will remain relatively unchanged for millenia.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flabello Meandroid":t3vse7cm said:
leftovers":t3vse7cm said:
quote]

I have no idea about the shelf-life of b-ionic, but I can tell you there are plenty of chemical compounds that will remain relatively unchanged for millenia.
Completely wrong! Don't you know about carbon dating? No, not asking a lady(or guys) out and do BBQ with charcoal. But the scientific stuff, you know. The carbon-13... wait, that not a lucky isotope...maybe carbon-14... anyway, it will spit out a few neutrons and become regular carbon-12. The half life is only a few hundred years. Same thing for Plutonium and uranium and going back to the topic of this thread, calcium and the carbon, yes, there are carbon in b-ionic, and that's what the "b" in "b-ionic" stands for, yes, carBon. In less than a millenium, the calcium and carbon will changed. And don't say they are still calcium and carbon! They are different compound with different spectral property. So, yes, going back to the original question, B-Ion does go bad. Just sent them to me, and I will "dispose" them the proper way, and I have a California-certified calcium disposal facility in my tank.

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flabello Meandroid":1qe6n20h said:
leftovers":1qe6n20h said:
quote]

[sarcasm]wow really who knew....[/sarcasm]

in this case we are discussing liquids many don't do well when exposed to air, sun and temperature extremes.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about B-Ionic stored for 2 years in a garage where it does get cold in the winters

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's time for a video--When Good B-Ionic Goes Bad!
Or something like that.

B-Ionic Brawls!

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob_Reef_Keeper":1gfusvpk said:
How about B-Ionic stored for 2 years in a garage where it does get cold in the winters

test small samples and see....though I would be reluctant to use it, you can certainly test and see what levels of the ca, MG and alkalinity are.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me like a build up of anaerobic bacteria in the closed bottle would be a concern.

Especially if this is the calcium/alk suppliments which can be replaced with very inexpensive chemicals.

my .02

Atlantic Reef

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have asked Bob this question many times, he says, "as long as each component still looks clear, (before you add it to your system) you should be O.K".
Component #1 will look a little milky, this is normal.
Component #1 will also solidify a bit if stored for long periods, (especially if cold).
Place the bottle in a warm area and shake it up for awhile.
-Dave

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: