A

Anonymous

Hi everyone. I wanted to know your opinions on what you think's the easiest way to do a water change. I'm currently getting salt water from the lfs for my 100g FO tank but have recently been reading about salt water mixes. If you go this route, I know you have to let the salt mix really well. Sounds easy enough!

Then there's the source water-- can you just use tap? There seems to be a number of differing opinions out there, and Fenner in his book (Conscientous) seems to vouch for it.

Is this a viable way of saving myself from lugging 25 gallons of water to and from the lfs? Thanks for your help!

Milo

A

Anonymous

fenner has his points that using tap water MAY be good. This a big may because it depends on your water quality, how high nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, hard metals, etc. are. The good thing about tap water is that it may add calcium and other minerals. I don't agree with this because when i used tap water, although i have a very good source for water with little nutrients and a good amount of minerals (a well) the mixed water, even if airrated for a day or two would be clowdy. I tested this water made from my water and made from store bought RO (reverse osmosis) and found that my calcium and dKH levels were the same. This is because the excess calcium precipitated out of the water causing my water to go cloudy. What I'm trying to say is "INVEST IN A GOOD (RO/DI) MACHINE". It'll remove the silicate, phosphate, and most of the nitrate out of your tap water = less algae (assuming that you don't over feed and your tank is properly stocked). The majority of people I've talked to, the majority of the books i've read, and my own personal experience say don't use unfiltered tap water. A GOOD RO machine will run around $200-300. Don't get a bare bones (doesn't remove enough nutrients), DON'T get one of those cheap $40 water filter's (even if it say's it Deionizes water, I've used one, they're a pain to use, the cartrages burn out real quick, and they don't do as good of a job). Don't use a simple tap water purifier for drinking use (unless it's RO). Most of those are just a simple carbon filter to remove taste. Any questions, email me. Any gripes, email me too. Big andswer for a small question.
matt

A

Anonymous

Most likely your LFS makes RO water in-shop and uses a salt mix already. You're probably already using a salt mix, although you may not know it!

A

Anonymous

I personally have reservations about putting real ocean water into my tank for several reasons.

1. You don't know what is going into the tank. I live in Santa Barbara California, and since water is of a colder climate as opposed to our Tropical Reef Tanks there are different organisms in ocean water (specifics of which I'm not aware, but you get my point). What about other contaniments (spelling?) such as oil, chemicals, or sewage that may be put in the water?

2. Here in Santa Barbara bacteria populations can become extremely high (especially after rain) and it is advised that people should stay away from the water. Would you want to put this in your tank?

3. The shelf life of real seawater is limited because there is actual life in there swimming around that will die if left in a sealed bucket or whatever. You can notice this if you store seawater as an odor.

I work at a LFS and it is my impression that most stores mix their own water with a salt mix and a source of RO/DI water. The reason I say this is b/c they aren't making much of a profit off water. The costs associated with physically going to the beach and hauling water do not justify a very minimal profit associated with selling water. Also, I tend to think that selling water is a way of getting customers into the fish room peering at those pretty fish and corals while they wait for their water to be filled.

Now, this may be different if the source of ocean water is actually filtered and "cleaned" so to speak, as I've read that at UC San Diego they actually have filtered ocean water you can purchase. Here at UC Santa Barbara it my be possible to obtain lab filtered ocean water but that is probably limited.

Those are my thoughts. Does anybody else disagree/agree?

A

Anonymous

Hi Milo,

I too use seawater from a LFS to do water changes. I find it is much easier to just buy the water and put it into the tank, rather than make saltwater and wait. Since you live in the costal area of Southern California, the seawater is most likely coming from Catalina, that's where my LFS gets it.

For those reefers in Middle America, or places far from any oceans or seas, the seawater at your LFS is most likely RO/DI mixed. The economics involved in getting genuine seawater to your location are way too prohibitive to make is profitable.

If you decide to go with saltmix, DO NOT USE TAPWATER. The tapwater here in Los Angeles is horrible, to say the least. I live near Pasadena, and the water here is not even fit for human consumption. If you live in Los Angeles City proper, I know your water will be detrimental to your fish and corals.

Stick with the seawater. It's real, perfectly mixed, and clean.

Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: