nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When did you guys started or felt the need to dose cal alk and mag, and which brand do you guys use, as for dosers I looked around and jebao has very good priced ones , what are the reviews good bad stuff that you can share, do they last long ? A year ? A month ? Any malfunctions that crashed your tank ? My tank is currently 1 month and 2 weeks , using instant ocean reef crystal

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
i started dosing when I decided I wanted to get into SPS. Up until that point with softies, they dont really need anything added at all to the tank so i never worried about it.

I decided on the jebao because of the price and i havent been let down. Havent had any issues with the doser I have. Had it for 3 years so far.

I use BRS supplies for dosing.

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
May i ask which jebao doser , exact name, or a link from amazon? , that sounds great doesnt cost a arm and a leg and running for 3 years !

edit just found out thru jkids thread jebao dp-4 thx .

Last edited:

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
When did you guys started or felt the need to dose cal alk and mag,

That's a great question. Lot of people don't aware that with a lightly stocked tank like yours, and with regular water change, you probably don't need dosing. To tell if you need dosing for alk/calc supplement, you need to test them daily for a few days and watch how much your coral consume. That's the baseline to tell how much you need to "dose". Even with a doser, you still need to know how much you need to dose, right? So, you need to do that regardless.

Since I know what you have in your tank, more than likely, you do not even see much changes in Alk/Calc in yours within a week. By that time, you are already doing water change and re-supplying what is missing, even they are just minute changes.

Ocelaris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would get the test kits and see where you are. If want to start with sps, get one or two from the forums that are easy and see how they do. I have two brs doses on an Apex, but when those die ill get a jebao, I've heard they're very good for the price. I test twice a week lately, but when I was getting started with sps I was testing every day for alk, Calc, and nitrates/phosphates. But the regular water changes have been the best for the tank. Everything is much happier when I do not have water change.

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
oce, what do you mean . everything is much happier when i do not have to water change, as in saying, they dont seem happy with new water para, but rather stable ? * , you say waters changes have been the best for the tank , is there something i have been misunderstanding , test kits are coming in ! cant wait to see, been flying blind for a month and 2 weeks :3

Ocelaris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Actually, my tank really enjoys a water change, I am not sure how it came out the opposite. My water changes are about 20 percent, which does not affect the parameters greatly. I just use instant ocean and it's been fine. I figure it's probably all the trace elements being refreshed, but I don't know exactly.

A lot of people will match calcium, magnesium and alkalinity in their make up water to their tank, but I haven't yet made the effort. I usually test the next day the three to make sure everything is close to what it was before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: