Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but here we go. In design phase for a new build. I will be building a custom sump and separate refugium. That will be housed under the tank. I decided to build them so they fit under the tank, maximize water volume and refugium size. It will be 2 separate vessels right next to each other and piped together using bulkheads. I know I can easily link the 2 sumps together using bulkheads and a small nipple in between each bulkhead. My question is this, can I eliminate the pipe in between the two bulkheads..... from inside sump 1 - bulkhead flange / bulkhead gasket / sump wall / bulkhead gasket / sump wall for sump 2 / bulkhead gasket / nut. Is there a bulkhead on the market for this purpose, or do I just get a normal bulkhead with some extra gaskets?

I hope Im explaining this correctly. Basically I want to link two sumps together without loosing any space in between the two, kinda like how a ghost overflow connects to the back of a tank.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I don't think it will work because the gap will likely be too wide. Also the pressure the tightening of the bulkhead puts on the tank may shatter the glass. I'd say raise the refugium on a 3 inch stand or so and use a bulkhead to overflow from the refugium to the sump.

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think about it I?m not sure if sandwiching the two sumps together like a ghost overflow would work because of the size and need for them to be perfectly aligned for the center gasket to work, but what about using 1 bulkhead like this - flange / gasket / Sump wall / nut / gap / nut / Sump wall / gasket / nut ?

Reefiness - I thought about elevating the sump, my only concern is the display tank is going to be 60x36x26 and in the event of a power failure I want the sump and refugium to be able to take the overflow without depending on check vaulves

SI REEF - also thought about building one large sump and dividing it, issue is I?ll be building them myself, and I could be wrong about this but I think 2 smaller units would be easier / cheaper / stronger than one large unit. But again I could be wrong on all counts, kinda why I came here before spending 1.3 million $ on acrylic.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I'm not sure I would trust that plan either. Any reason why you're trying to link both tanks with only 1 bulkhead? If you want to have the 2 tanks as close together as possible, how about putting bulk heads in the front or rear panel, with 90 elbows.

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planing on linking them with 2 bulkheads, 1 as a main and the other as a emergency overflow.
Doing in on the back of the tank would definitely work it?s just a matter of access because the tank will be up against the wall. Which segways nicely to my next question. The tank will have ghost overflow and will be 60? long (tank length) I would like the ability to access the underside of the overflow in the event of a leak without having to break the tank down
And I can?t afford to leave the tank 2? off he wall. So here it goes..... I will be building the stand and I?m confident it will have the capacity to hold the tank X?s 5. That said I came across leveling casters. They are casters that once the tank is in place your turn a handle and a foot comes down taking the load off the caster and putting it on the foot. They have a 1,600 lbs capacity, I would use one in each corner and 2 in the middle span. Even if the caster manufacture doesn?t have a safety factor built into the 1,600 lbs capacity, I would have a safety factor of 3. I?m not wanting to push the tank around like a shopping cart, but if needed I?d like to be able to move it away from the wall 2?. The floor is concrete with vinyl plank flooring. The weakest link I think is the stand (made of wood) flexing. I can mitigate some of that in how it?s constructed and it wouldn?t be the end of the world if I had to take 100 gal out of the tank in the event of a move
Opinions are greatly appreciated, I don?t really have anyone that I can bounce ideas off of without getting ?sounds good? or ?what!? As a response.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I've heard people throw the idea of casters around here and there.... never really seen them implemented though. I like the idea but there are big concerns with it being flex that you mentioned as well as your tank being very top heavy. If a wheel snags up you may very well topple your tank over so need to be careful. I would only do that if I had a steel tube frame at least under the wood stand to prevent flexing

SI REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.5%
63   3   0
Now that I think about it I?m not sure if sandwiching the two sumps together like a ghost overflow would work because of the size and need for them to be perfectly aligned for the center gasket to work, but what about using 1 bulkhead like this - flange / gasket / Sump wall / nut / gap / nut / Sump wall / gasket / nut ?

Reefiness - I thought about elevating the sump, my only concern is the display tank is going to be 60x36x26 and in the event of a power failure I want the sump and refugium to be able to take the overflow without depending on check vaulves

SI REEF - also thought about building one large sump and dividing it, issue is I?ll be building them myself, and I could be wrong about this but I think 2 smaller units would be easier / cheaper / stronger than one large unit. But again I could be wrong on all counts, kinda why I came here before spending 1.3 million $ on acrylic.

I have modified a few sumps acrylic is the easiest and fastest you can pick up a sheet of acrylic and get weld-on fast set acrylic cement cut slots in the top for water to overflow back into the sump from the refugium one bulkhead fitting and Tee off from your return pump with valve to control flow.

Mooka151

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh, the top heavy part is what has me most concerned. The new build will be put in the same location as the current setup. So at least I can set the new build up, do all the internal plumbing, wiring leak test ect then roll it into place. And if I ever do need to move it I?ll drain as much of the tank as possibly and leave the sumps filled, lowering the center of gravity somewhat. But I do like the idea of having a square tube steel dolly under the stand.
Thanks for the advice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: