Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
There are many videos online that go into detail.
I would not drill a 10 gallon though. The glass is so thin that it will most likely crack.
Happened with two out of two that I drilled.
Go with a larger tank with thicker glass.

evilskudd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many videos online that go into detail.
I would not drill a 10 gallon though. The glass is so thin that it will most likely crack.
Happened with two out of two that I drilled.
Go with a larger tank with thicker glass.

Space is a concern for me, an a ten is the largest I can fit... What would be the smallest you would drill?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i have drilled every tank of every size including a 5 gallon tank. what i do is take a piece of PVC the same diameter as the drill bit and put a dab of crazt glue on 4 spots of the pvc and let it dry on the glass. i then put the tank on a piece of plywood underneath the spot where im going to drill "only on the glass do not let the plywood rest on the trim of the tank. then go real slow. havent cracked a tank in 4 years

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The proper way is with one of these. Makes holes easy in 10g's.

what+I+see+_d81edae1dfc11028a8d9f721c7e59045.jpg

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You can drill a 10 gallon all day.
But when you go to use it, the glass is so thin that any disturbance of the plumbing will crack the tank.
You can try, just letting you know what happened to me.
I would not a 10 gallon again. Go with a thicker glass tank.

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
i have drilled every tank of every size including a 5 gallon tank. what i do is take a piece of PVC the same diameter as the drill bit and put a dab of crazt glue on 4 spots of the pvc and let it dry on the glass. i then put the tank on a piece of plywood underneath the spot where im going to drill "only on the glass do not let the plywood rest on the trim of the tank. then go real slow. havent cracked a tank in 4 years

Duke drilled a tank (used as a fuge off my sump) for me a couple of years ago, no problem - still runing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: