• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have been dripping kalkwasser for a few weeks now. The system, on average loses "through evaporation" about 2 gallons per day. I have been replacing about 1 gallon of water with a mixture of 2 table spoons of Kent kalkwasser mixed with a gallon of RO/DI water. The rest of the replacement water is RO/DI automatically dripped. I only add the Kent kalkwasser mix 2 or 3 times per week.

Now for the first point of this post... I have seen a drastic increase in the growth of my corals. Where I see the most growth is on my Montipora Capricornis coral. It has doubled in size in 3 weeks. Frogspawn has 7 new (tiny) heads. Tourch coral has also grown and the heads are splitting.

Aside from the growth, I don't know if I read this some ware or how I decided to try it but, I use the dripped kalkwasser to kill aiptasia, and it works like a charm... using a 1/8" hose, (same I use to drip the kalkwasser water to the tank) I press the outlet of the hose as the water is dripping out into the head of the aiptasia for about 30 seconds. As this is happening, you can watch the aiptasia shrivel up. 90% of the time it kills the aiptasia on the first time. Some smaller ones are harder to get the water directed correctly, so they are the ones that usually need another treatment.

Going to try Mrs Wages Pickling Lime next to see if I get the same results. I would rather spend my money on frags then kalkwasser. It is kind of expensive…

Don't know if this is news to anyone, but I just thought I would share this info and would like to know of others experience. Also, if you use either of these methods, is there anything I should be wary of?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: