A

Anonymous

I need help? I want to build a skimmer for my 200 gallon and need to know if anyone has any good plans. And I would like to also know what type of skimmer you think is the best??
Thank You For your Help!!

A

Anonymous

I have built a number of DIY skimmers. It took awhile to get the right design and materials. But if you are serious and you are considering a venturi model then get to ebay today and you will find a mazzei venturi valve for auction. These are typically $45 if you can find them. its currently $10 so get it. I have no affiliation with the auction but I bought one on ebay about 6 months ago(the last time one was for sale on ebay) If you want some practical experience from the school of hard knocks I'll be happy to talk about the details of DIY designs. I built 2+ venturi models and an HSA.

A

Anonymous

I have heard allot about the HSA type. has anyone had good luck with this type? And how did it work???

A

Anonymous

The HSA requires a big pump 1000-1500 g/h and a tall chamber 3+ feet. Its not difficult to build as long as you can get the clear tubing. I would not attempt to do it with PVC. Its next to impossible to tweak it for the optimum skimmate production when you can't see inside. There are plenty of designs available.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: