Rating - 100%
98   0   0
So we know the list of easy includes digitatas, stylophoras, birds nest.
Difficult include most if not all of the acroporas.

I'm not sure where encusting monties or caps are.

I'm not sure what makes a species easy or difficult, would it be more light/flow required, more temperamental to placement? or would it be the nutrient/ water quality tolerance? Either too high or sometimes I hear too low, though I don't understand the concept of too low or zero PO or NO levels starving out SPS.

I'm starting up my tank again and already hitting road blocks of some acros peeling (grandulosa), while others are darkening to a brown (green slimmer). Yet at the same time I have a couple that have turned bright green (unknown species). I've kept them on the same level on my frag rack.

Anyway, I was wondering which species of acros would one consider easier and which are more difficult to add? while I work out the variables. I'm considering milliporas,

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hard to say say without knowing your experience, equipment and water chemistry.
Any corals won?t do well in bad water chemistry or bad lights.
Monipora are in ease category.

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I think another consideration is the maturity of the tank....a stable established tank with the right "other" conditions helps with maintaining acros, (water chemistry, flow, lighting etc).

JK00K

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For some reason, Stylo, Montipora digi and birds nest are not the easiest corals in my tank. They usually melt away after two wks. Meanwhile other acros are totally fine.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I've just started my tank a 4 months ago, inserted a variety of species, so I'm experimenting with light levels, and trying to find a balance with nutrient export. I've got quite a few variables going on.
First, I took too long adjusting the corals to light, and they were too low, so I lost a few acros that way.
Second, haven't dialed in my algae scrubber yet, It was doing well 2 months ago, till some new species of algae is preventing growth, (a blenny got in there and may be a problem) but I'll figure it out. The lush algae that was in there for a while has been replaced by something else.
Third, still haven't dialed in my protein skimmer, since it's pulling so much phytoplankton out, since the scrubber isn't working properly yet. I was doing a very dry foamy skim, which wouldn't fill the cup with liquid, but foam would bubble out of the lid cracks, so now I'm going a wet foam.
Fourth, had used a dozen bait fish (spearing) to cycle the tank, and was slowly feeding them more and more food, since they looked so happy, of course this was exacerbating the problem since my algae scubber problem kicked in.
While this has been going on, just returned from a 2 week vacation, and found that birds nest, caps, chalice and digitata are doing well, but most of the acros have suffered.
Anyway, so I'm trying to find the "easiest" acros to add, as an indicator genus.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: