LauraH

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Amphiprion clarkii (Clark's clownfish) in a 180gal reef aquarium. They spawned recently and laid their eggs underneath an overhang behind where their anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis) usually spreads. The only reason that I was able to observe the eggs at all was because the anemone stayed shrunk up under a rock for about 3 days for unknown reasons. After the anemone came back out, I notice the eggs turned from a healthy looking bright orange, to a dark brownish color, and seemed to shrivel.

Could the anemone have damaged the eggs, or was there likely another factor at play? No other inhabitants (including mostly SPS corals) showed any signs of distress during any of this.

There really wasn't any way that I could've reared these guys anyway, but I can't help but wonder what happened to the eggs.

AUEagleinDC

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings Pensacola friend, I used to live in Navarre just down the road! I miss the P-cola area. I assume that you KNOW the eggs are dead? The reason I ask is because clown eggs turn from the red/orange color to a darker brown/black (what you're seeing is the eyes developing through the clear egg) as they mature. If they shriveled, they may well be dead and I can only guess that the clutch wasn't healthy due to the parents not being ready (was it their first clutch? if so, first clutches often are not the most healthy). Good luck and take care of my homeland down there in P-cola.

Chris

LauraH

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,

Well, hello former neighbor!

I'm not sure if this is their first clutch, or not. This is the first time that I've been able to observe any eggs though.

When I got home from work this evening, I took another look to see if they were still there, and what do you suppose I saw? A bunch of little fishy eyes staring back at me.

You are right and this is just another stage of development. Shows how much I know about clownfish egg development. I really need to get that book by Joyce Wilkerson.

AUEagleinDC

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I throw you a baby shower? :lol: Definitely get the Wilkerson book if you have any interest in one day raising them. I want to breed/raise ocellaris clowns. I am jealous!!! Congratulations, mommy!

Chris

LauraH

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Thanks!

I think I'm definitely going to pick up the book to see if it's even feasible for me to try rearing baby clownfish.

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is feasible, just you need to remove them from the tank to raising tank. Definitely get Wilkerson's book, though. :D

P.S., that is WAY cool! :D :D

LauraH

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishfanatic2

I'll be looking for the book this weekend. Unfortunately, I can't remove these guys without tearing the reef apart, but in the future, I think I'll try to get them to lay their eggs on something more mobile.

Martin Moe

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to remove the eggs. Let them hatch in the main tank, this will happen about 7 to 9 days after they are laid, probably 2 days after you can see the eyes. Watch at night about a half to 2 hours after the lights go out for a tank full of tiny larval fish swiming about in the dark (turn of the filtration for a couple of hours, don't forget to turn it back on). Place a flashlight in one corner of the tank and the larval fish will congregate at that point, you can then siphon them out into a bucket or just dip them out with a glass or cup. You must set up a separate rearing tank for the larval fish if you plan to rear them. That is a whole nother subject, however. Joyce's book will tell you how to rear them from there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: