tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
So, i've been slowly breaking down my 180 due to various things happening right now. I was planning on getting out of the hobby for good .... well at least for a little while which is what usually happens to people in the hobby for a few years. We just can't get away from the hobby can we. Plus my wife has been cursing me for breaking down and removing "her" tank and fish buddies, along with the breakdown making me realize that I don't really want out of the hobby just make things a little easier in my energy, time and $$ dedicated which is impossible in a tank that big.

So, I decided on going much much smaller and making my life a lot easier in a few months. We've been looking at the Elos Mini which is the perfect shape and size for my small apartment. It comes with almost everything I need to get the tank up and running with minimal input from me aside from water changes and top off. I'm really excited about 2-5g water changes compared to 20g garbage can WC's that I had to drag through my apartment. It also allows for more cabinet storage in my apt which is desperately needed. Super excited. I'm planning to set up in September and take a 2 month vacation from reefing in the meantime.

Here is what I'm planning on doing with the tank:

• Tank: Elos mini 20g
  • Sump: Stock elos
  • Skimmer: Stock elos
  • Lights: Haven't decided. AI sol,ecotech, elos e-lite 3 or maybe maxspect?
  • Top off: Elos Osmocontroller
  • Powerhead: MP10
  • Controller: RKL or maybe neptune
The main issue I'm having is is finding thr right light for the tank. The AI sol blue nano at max is about just enough for the tank from what i've been reading. I would like something just a tad stronger, and the next step would be a AI sol, maxpsect or the ecotech and all of those would be a little overpowered for the tank. Maxspect sounds like people are having a ton of issues with the fixtures. I am leaning towards the AI sol or the AI sol nano right now unless the new vega or the Elos e-lite 3 come out before september, are available and are worth the price tag.

Im going to leave the sump alone along with the skimmer and see how it all works for a few months. Elos ATO will be perfect for the tank as the sump has a FW compartment for top off built in. I just have to make a decision on what controller to use or if I should even bother using one. I only need to check the temp and maybe PH in the future and 150-300$ spent would be put to better use elsewhere in the tank. The tank does look cooler with a controller built into the door though =)

Planning on keeping mainly LPS/softies in the tank, gorg or two. Depending on how well the tank settles in I might add some SPS and a small maxima clam in the future.

The tank, with the basics to get it running, is going to run about 2000$ :irked:. That's tank, LED lighting, MP10, ATO, any the misc sand/rocks, heater and temp probe.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Sweet. I think the ai sol blue is perfect, or if you can find a cheap radion. Sol nano seems to bit a bit weak. With the sol blue you can at least turn the intensity down. For the mini i've been debating on turning the ATO section into a fuge and just using a larger container for the ATO. Only lasts me a few days, but my midi with a fan the ATO section lasts a full week.

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
If it's the older System Mini you'll be doing, I'd suggest a different skimmer. But if it's the current Mini that comes with the PS1000, ignore my comment. Good luck and you won't regret it, it's a beautiful setup. I absolutely love mine and am having second thoughts about selling it.

I have the AI Nano and have the whites at about 30% and the blues at about 50% I think. I have a mixed tank with a Crocea and everything is doing fine. I haven't really tried ramping up the lighting since everything looks ok to me...

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thanks guys, and yeah im getting the new ones with the new skimmer so i shouldn't have to worry about upgrades. And i'll be getting the AI Sol Blue for the light.

I can deal with a few days for the ATO. I was expecting it. I won't need more than that. As long as I get 3-4 days of water thats perfectly fine. I really don't want to get another container of something next to the tank. Minimalism is the key for this tank for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: