ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm about to setup my elos mini....nice looking tank for sure but am already itching to get the elos 70 and I haven't even started filling this yet.

Anyhow I wanted to get some advice as this is my first nano type aquarium:

(1) I am going bare bottom but would like to ask whether I should use marine board or starboard or just go without it. Pro: It will cushion any rock falls, Con: detritus may get stuck underneath.

Also seeking advice on where to buy this and if it can be custom cut.

(2) I'm thinking of increasing the volume of my tank by using the 40 breeder that I have as a sump and plumb it behind my wall. I don't want to use the stand but instead place it on the countertop/desktop that I have bolted to my wall as pictured below.

I could use the stand but I don't want to drill the back of the stand in case I want to sell it later.

Here are some pictures to show you what I mean (This is the countertop):

IMG_2374.jpg

The other concern I have is with the stock skimmer and whether it will be able to handle the increased water volume.

As I already have a buyer for the sump/skimmer I am leaning toward using those funds for an upgrade in skimmer...

Input welcome.

Here are my options:

(1) Don't use the stand and place the mini on that countertop..and plumb it through the wall to a 40 breeder as the sump and upgrade the skimmer. Will still have to hide the plumbing underneath but won't be that noticeable.

(2) Use the stand but drill the back of the stand to plumb it behind the wall

(3) Move the electrical and just use the stand/stock sump/skimmer as it was intended

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
could always use a foam bottom, which if i ever do another tank will be the route i go, like making the foam walls but for the bottom and place rock in it before it drys to give a whole rock appearance

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
you can buy starboard from cuttingboardcompany . com (I think). I bought mine custom cut to size. Make sure you order the white, food grade board. Should only be about $20-30 for your size tank.

As for the plumbing, that's really up to you. The only thing I'll throw in there is if you drill holes in your counter top and ever decide to sell the tank, you'll have to buy a new counter.. that's not something I'd want to do. (this is if you haven't made your decision already, :lol2:)

Good luck. Post some pictures!

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
hey, i though the point of the elos tanks was simplicity to begin with..an overall simple setup..

Ultra clean and modern work - Tank,Sump,Skimmer,Overflow,Stand ETC

Getting rid of everything but the tank and placing it on a counter defeats the whole point of the setup if you ask me. Leaves you with just a sm cleanly built tank...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: