A

Anonymous

Hey Folks-

After a long and failed attempt at breeding Bangaii Cardinals, I had an empty 20 long begging to be filled. I decided to set up a simple skimmerless/sumpless system. All filtration and water movement comes from an Aquaclear 70 hanging on the right side. It contains a block of thick-pored sponge, three small bags of bio-balls and some carbon. This filter sits above the refugium section, which has Caulerpa prolifera.
p8284754.jpg

The main coral is that large peach Frogspawn (E. paradivisa) in the center. I'm also very fond of the purpleish Hammer (E. ancora) on the top left. Scattered around are a bunch of other small, assorted Euphyllia.
p8284759.jpg

The tank is lit by two T5s, one KZ Fiji Purple and one G'mann Actinic+. I really like the color rendition of these bulbs, but my camera does not. None of these photos look quite like it does in reality.

There are no fish in this tank. Instead I plan to stock it with a selection of tiny shrimp. The first one I added was a nice little Blue Coral Banded (Stenopus sp.). He's made his home somewhere in the back, and I've only seen him twice in a month. The other shrimp is a Periclimenes sp. ... one of the anemone shrimp. Just got it yesterday, and am hoping he'll adopt one of the Euphyllia as his host.
p8284743.jpg

Thanks for looking.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know! That thing amazes me. Its skeleton is only about the size of a softball. When it's open, it's easily football sized. In the picture it's only about 75% open. Wait... you were talking about the frogspawn, not the shrimp, right?

Here's a pic of the full set-up. I forgot to mention that the Caulerpa section is lit by a regular old compact fluorescent bulb, the spiral Home Depot variety in a reptile heatlamp reflector.
p8284761.jpg

Please ignore the wilting houseplant; that's what I do. :roll:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Sir, while I'm not a particular fan of those corals, when any coral is as large as that it instantly becomes impressive.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great hammers. I wish I had luck with them. Best of luck.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":38wkqrec said:

Low and dirty IME. Not you AnemoneBuff ;) I meant the water conditions the Euphyllias seem to thrive in. For me at least they seem to like lower or gentle flow and nice nutrient rich water.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":1nsjdiv4 said:
Looks good Sir, while I'm not a particular fan of those corals, when any coral is as large as that it instantly becomes impressive.

I didn't use to be, but the more I see of them, the more I like them. Still dislike bubble coral intensely but the Euphyllia sp. are calling out to feature in my next tank somehow.

I really like what you've done here Craig. My wife gave me the OK to have a nano in addition to my main tank in Tokyo. Let's see how far I can stretch the definition of nano and see if I can set up something similar. 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":1xjux1cc said:
ANEMONEBUFF":1xjux1cc said:

Low and dirty IME. Not you AnemoneBuff ;) I meant the water conditions the Euphyllias seem to thrive in. For me at least they seem to like lower or gentle flow and nice nutrient rich water.

I definately do not have pure water, but it is still very good water quality. I may have too much flow though. I have two Vortech MP40's, a Tunze stream and my returns. My bubble coral and acans are placed in the two low flow areas in the tank. I will still need to find another low flow spot for one. :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":nhff5fc3 said:
A 20 IMO is a nano. Tell your wife I said so. :wink:

She used to think that was a big tank! :lol:

Believe me, I've been working on that. ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: