Flashy2003

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a Aquac ev-120 with a mag 5 on my tank for the last year and a half. It never really worked at all. I even screwed with the spray valve. So just the other day I put a new spray valve and upgraded to mag 7. But it still does not impress me. It works when it wants to. Its either doing nothing at all or its spitting watery foam. Whats the deal with this thing. Should I just move on to a different skimmer? These are supposed to be one of the best.

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Aqua C

Hey. I have been using an AC EV-240 with a large pump for over 10 years. Indeed it is sensitive but once you get it going it pulls the most discusting stuff imaginable.

Patience is the key.

First shut off the air valve almost completety. This is the up position. Now open the gate value as far as you can with out flooding the top of the skimmer. If you can open the gate valve all the way (without drowning the top of the skimmer) then that tells me that your pump is NOT too strong.

If it drowns the top of the skimmer at this point then your pump is too strong. If it doesnt drown the skimmer then leave it alone for 24 hours and observe.

If after 24 hours it starts to skim, then you're good to go.
If atter 24 hours it still doesnt skim, let more air in by lowering the air valve. Just lower it a very little bit and again wait for 24 hours to observe. Continue this process until it starts to skim.

If you reach full air and the gate valve is wide open and it still doesnt skim then, your pump is not big enough.

Aqua C customer support is great, send them an email.

One note. There can be no back pressure on the return. The water must flow out un obstructed. If you need to put an elnow on the return, either provide some air, using a T, or do it gradually. If there is any back pressure, you'll flood the skimmer.

This skimmer will react to a lot of things. Water changes, hands in tank, food in tank, chemicals. etc.

Hope this helps. Happy T/g. John

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
In a word.....JUNK. If you have to mess with it that much... Why bother.
I had an ev180 for a while and could never get it to work properly no matter what I tried.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
biggest problem people dont run a pressure rated pump, so the flex of gph with other pumps makes it run inconsistant, and thats with about any type of injector, down draft and such

Flashy2003

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
skimmer

I went buy greengnys advise. The pump is not to strong and I have it skimming so far, but its very watery. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks with this new pump. Than onto anotherskimmer.

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
If it's still watery try to dial it back a bit (Gate valve or Air valve) and then leave it alone. I have more luck with it when I skim dry (at least not watery). g/l.

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
When I used to ev180 it was great. Very finicky though, if hands are in the tank or feeding the foam will collapse for hours. IMO today more efficient skimmers are out there at very cheap prices. just sold a NAC7 for $100 the other day. WAY better than an AQUA C EV check Bubble Magus or SWC or anything else.

these new cone skimmers produce better foam and dont heat up water and are less quiet.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Check out a SWC cone skimmer. I switched from my AquaC EV120 to a SWC 180 cone skimmer and the SWC is MUCH better. Doesn't pull as much electricity, no microbubbles, easy to adjust, it doesn't need more adjusting after you set it right, just set it and forget it! It's also very quiet. I would recommend it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: