• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your evaporation rate? i have a 100 gallon reef and i am evaping 2 gallons a day, wondering if this is normal. it seems high.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that is pretty normal to be honest. But it really depends on the tank setup. A fan cooled canopy with no tank covers will create a lot more evap, but it will keep the tank cooler.

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on humidity and how much ventilation. With that said, 2 gal per day for a 100 gal is not out of the norm.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure theres plenty of physics behind it with the difference in temperatures in the summer/winter. But IME in the winter the heater seems to dry the air out more and I get more evap. In the summer we leave the doors open more and the humidity is high here so theres not so much evap. My tank on the porch is in 80 % humidity and hardly ever needs to be topped off. Theres a lot of factors involved. Your getting a 1% Evaporation rate per day. Mine is about the same.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ok to me. I have a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and I replace about a gallon per day. maybe a little less. I use a humidifier in the livingroom that puts about a gollon of water into the air per day. I have noticed that this has significantly cut down on the evaporation from the tank. You can get a nice one at home Lowels for about $40. Plus it helps keep your house warmer and makes your house heater more efficient.

SlipperMan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":2dun1yf5 said:
Sounds ok to me. I have a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump and I replace about a gallon per day. maybe a little less. I use a humidifier in the livingroom that puts about a gollon of water into the air per day. I have noticed that this has significantly cut down on the evaporation from the tank. You can get a nice one at home Lowels for about $40. Plus it helps keep your house warmer and makes your house heater more efficient.

I can always tell when my humidifier is out of water. My RO/DI bucket water level falls practically while you're watching it. We have a furnace sized for a home in our apartment, so it just sucks any moisture out of the air very quickly. Doesn't help the heater vent aims right where all my tanks are.

That said, on my 80g coral vat I lose about 2g a day, sometimes 3g. My 7g trash can is enough to get me by for about 3 days when I go to my parent's for the weekend.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: