InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I don't know if they make this but I was interested in getting an external skimmer that works independently (similar to a canister filter) that can be placed under my tank. I'm running a canister filter not a sump, and have an HOB skimmer which I would like to replace in the near future. Any ideas?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kinda sorta...most folks who run external skimmers have it hooked up to a sump as you need someplace to put the pump that feeds (and returns from) the skimmer.
I run my 33 cube tank this way as the skimmer is almost 3' tall, tall so it doesn't (obviously) fit under the tank.

Why not add an overflow box and a sump to the tank and put the skimmer in the sump?

artie1209

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A canister filter is in effect a closed loop. A protein skimmer is open by design. You have three options
1 internal,
2 hang on back (or external above water level of tank)
3 use a sump.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Kinda sorta...most folks who run external skimmers have it hooked up to a sump as you need someplace to put the pump that feeds (and returns from) the skimmer.
I run my 33 cube tank this way as the skimmer is almost 3' tall, tall so it doesn't (obviously) fit under the tank.

Why not add an overflow box and a sump to the tank and put the skimmer in the sump?
A sump is something I'm not able to do yet (I really like my canister), my kids are to young and constantly opening the doors to the stand. I'm afraid they either hurt themselves and or put something in it. I currently have a Reef Octopus BH-800s HOB which works great but am looking for something bigger. I have space to the left of my tank where I might be able to take advantage of Item 2 of artie1209's post. It could be an option.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Cabinet locks? ;)

The only concern with a canister is if you ever lose power (or turn off) for more than an hour - you MUST dump ALL of the contents of the canister as the bacteria inside will die fast with no flow and you can wipe out your tank in a heartbeat if you launch the dead bacteria into your DT. :(

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Cabinet locks? ;)

The only concern with a canister is if you ever lose power (or turn off) for more than an hour - you MUST dump ALL of the contents of the canister as the bacteria inside will die fast with no flow and you can wipe out your tank in a heartbeat if you launch the dead bacteria into your DT. :(
I know, but I'm sick of everything having locks on it. As far as a power failure is concerned anyone without a backup power source is going to have trouble, besides that couldn't I just take the top off until power came back on or just put the media directly into the DT?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I know, but I'm sick of everything having locks on it. As far as a power failure is concerned anyone without a backup power source is going to have trouble, besides that couldn't I just take the top off until power came back on or just put the media directly into the DT?

I hear you! I still can't open those dopey locks! lol
What makes you think the kids wouldn't find a working skimmer (next to the tank) even more fun to play with than a sump? ;)

While that is true, it is the smaller amount of water contained in a canister (as opposed to a sump) that makes it die faster as it will use up the available oxygen quicker.
Yes, you could put the media into your DT...as long as that is getting oxygen. Simply removing the top without agitating the surface (thereby getting oxygen to the bacteria) won't help.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
As far as I'm concerned those things are the worst. I would build a cabinet to match my stand and canopy to put it in, The other thing is it's not as easy to throw stuff in a skimmer as it is a sump. My canister is an Eheim 2080 which is quite large but not as large as the volume of most sumps, it holds 12 liters of media and almost 7 gallons of water rated for a aquaria up 350 gallons and it does this while only consuming 30 watts of power which is great. It also does a great job with keeping the water quality very high.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: