danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been getting saltwater ghostshrimps from FL on weekly basis. I have recently heard from my LFS that there are people in California now farming the saltwater ghostshrimps. Got a question if that can be done to produce small lots in backyard? The ghost shrimps, IMO, are great live food for many fishes and their size is perfect for most. They should be much more nutritious feed compared to the brine shrimp and being live, can entice a stronger feeding response then frozen mysis.

What are the farming techniques in collecting eggs and keep the parents from eating the eggs? What are the obstacles in rearing to adulthood? I can understand people not wanting to farm them in the South because it is much easier for them to sein the shrimps. But for us in the western states where the saltwater ghostshrimp are not native, we are left with little options if we would like to have these as a continuous live feed. I am imagining the just hatched palegic ghost shrimps can also be great zooplankton for many corals and captive bred hatchlings.

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi:
great questions. I know very little about ghost shrimp farming. I do know where I live(TExas) the ghost shrimp are cultured in crawfish ponds and are seined along w/ the crawfish.
We don't see brackish nor saltwater ghost shrimp here in Texas, just the freshwater version.
I hope someone w/ ghost shrimping experience can jump in.
frank

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Here comes another question. Suppose farming salt ghostshrimps is not too different from the freshwater version. What is the techniques being used on freshwater ghostshrimps and crawfish to collect their eggs, rearing the youngs, stimulate growth and reproduction?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
danmhippo-i spent a year working with macrobrachium shimp on a commercial fish farm.although they're much larger and brackish, some of the setup ideas and techniques may be helpful to you.the explanations may be abit lengthy, let me know if you'ld like me to e-mail you with some of the descriptions & techniques.(i'm not sure if it's a good idea to 'flood' the posts with pages of stuff!) :)

Louis Z

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Vitz I know the offer wasnt extended to me but I would be interested in details If you dont mind e-mail them to me too. If not I wont be offended - I just like to gather data and techniques on raising live food. Thanks Louis Z.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
louis z- be happy to either tomorrow or the day after, i'm looking for my pictures(only 2 or 3, but they help the explanation ALOT)sit tight... :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: