nymedic

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a film floating on the top of my tank. It looks like browm algae and it has a stong fishy odor. I have alot of brown algae on the glass and the substrate but my water is clear. I am just getting this tank converted from a fish only to a reef tank. I have a good wet dry and a red sea prizm protien skimmer. I dont have a uv as of yet and i know this is a must. (christmas is coming). My tank is 90 gal with 75 lbs of live rock. What is this film and what can i do to get rid of it.

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi medic,

A UV is certainly NOT a must, so hang in there and don't buy anything yet.

The film you see is probably some protein that is floating on the surface. Almost ALL saltwater aquariums have it, but you can't see it on most of them because those tanks have an overflow or some way to 'skim' that gunk off of the surface of the water.

I use an overflow and a sump in my tank. The brown protein scum runs over the overflow and down into my sump - where it is removed using a protein skimmer.

If you can't add a sump, then you might consider one of the hang on the back protein skimmers that comes with a "surface skimming box"

Hope that helps,
James

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nymedic":3lz0r4ok said:
I have a film floating on the top of my tank. It looks like browm algae and it has a stong fishy odor. I have alot of brown algae on the glass and the substrate but my water is clear. I am just getting this tank converted from a fish only to a reef tank. I have a good wet dry and a red sea prizm protien skimmer. I dont have a uv as of yet and i know this is a must. (christmas is coming). My tank is 90 gal with 75 lbs of live rock. What is this film and what can i do to get rid of it.

James' advice to you is correct, but I want to emphasize that it is important to eliminate the surface film, because it will prevent a lot of the needed light from reaching your corals.

nymedic

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys. I do have an overflow box and a protien skimmer. The problem was not enough water movement on the surface. A rio 1100 power head with a flow aimed at the surface did the trick.I have great surface agitation now and all seems to be well.Along with a phosphate pad a water change and a dose of chemi-pure thrown in the mix. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to see you figured out that trouble. you'll find now that surface agitation will help decrease those CO2 spikes and, if you're testing for it, keep O2 saturation levels tip-top.

you see, it's actually at the surface where these exchanges take place (CO2/O2 exchange), whereas many folks are of the belief that air bubbles are where this happens. not saying you thought that, but if ya did now ya know! :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: