annanymous

Female Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Do filters socks have a life span? I wash them in bleach usually on the extra sanitary setting on the washer and then air dry them. Do they eventually need to be replaced?

I have same ones for 6 years
Work like new when I bleach in wash machine

Do u guys know if it's a problem washing them in the regular washing machine that may have some trace of detergent? I've heard some ppl soak the socks in bleach solution but then hand wash them.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i soak mine in water and bleach, then rinse them and air dry. bleach dissipates as it dries.
i think they do ware out, cause as they get older they get transparent thats with felt socks.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Jim,
I personally thought that over time as socks are washed and used, that the socks clog quicker hence the filtering micron less then original but I believe that I read the opposite as where the socks start to loose their micron rating. So if I started with an 100 micron, after x-amount of washes it could become a 150 micron filtering sock.
Just thought it was interesting and I could be absolutely wrong of course :lol:

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got rid of mine not worth the trouble .. the difference isn't worth it... skimmer cleans out junk .. plus I don't have a high bio load ..mostly corals ..good clean up crew, I believe its how you feed that makes all the difference. control the amount of food plus shut down return pumps and leave flow pumps running... my nitrates are 0.

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
filter socks

I got rid of mine not worth the trouble . its how much and how you feed the water quality is still the same . plus good clean up crew ..also shut down return pump when feeding and just leave power heads on.

then watch the show lol...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: