vder

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I picked up my rimless 130-gallon tank from Reefomania about a month ago and now its ready to get going. I do have a couple questions below. Pictures to follow.

I have a quick question about plumbing my new tank. I am using the bean animal overflow with three 1.5 - inch drains going to the sump with a valve on the primary line. Is it ok to reduce the size before entering the sump down to 1 inch on the normal and secondary supply but leaving the emergency at 1.5? My sump is currently configured for 1-inch bulkheads.

Should I try and enlarge the bulk head opening to accept 1.5 or order a new sump?

I will be running a ? inch return line back to the tank due to the bulkhead on the return side is ? of an inch. Is it beneficial to run a 1-inch return line only to be reduced upstream?

Will be using a Vectra M1 as the return pump.

TIA

IMG_0210_zpspchwrola.jpg

IMG_0212_zpswa8xhwzk.jpg

Last edited:

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
You can reduce the size but obviously you will reduce the flow to your sump. You may need a ball valve built into your return line to be able to control return flow rate.

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
Hi there,

Your overflow box is drilled for 1" bullheads not 1,5" as long as I remember, this overflow is big enough to handle 10 times your tank volume per hour using 1" drain lines you don't have to change them to 1,5".
Since you want to use Vectra M1 pump you'll not get any huge difference playing with return line size, Vectra pressure outlet is also 3/4". For smooth installation I suggest to use 3/4" line. Your check valve is installed too high, for proper work it need back flow pressure, move it lower (as low as you can).

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

vder

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks @reefoman the advice is appreciated. Tank has finally been moved to its proper place and the plumbing will start this week. I will post a picture of the dry fit prior to gluing.

vder

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tank is moving along. The lighting is temporary for the moment. I am looking to replace the original AI hydras. I am considering Kessils due to the rimless mounts along with Eco Tech Radions.

IMG_0436_zpsr2haeok6.jpg

IMG_0385_zpscsyo9yfc.jpg

IMG_0423_zpsyskabtgd.jpg

IMG_0482_zpsivcz2gh9.jpg

IMG_0484_zpshodexamp.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: