shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey my fish seem to be developing something kind of like ick, not exactly ick but it looks more like a reaction to the water than a parasite. not all of them have it but my flame angel and scopas tang do i have had both for two weeks and things looked good until today. I have a UV runniong for two weeks also since they were put in, any suggestions? or thoughts? none of the other fish have any signs of this if it is ick wouldn't they all be infected?

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. I have never QT'd and have ick in my tank. Every once in a while I notice one of my fish will have a small bout of it if things are out of whack.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,

Do you have any cleaner shrimp??

Normally they jump right into action when one of my fish is seen with a spot. Once in awhile I will see something on a fish, and the next day it is gone. I had 3 cleaners in my 55gal. Still not sure how many I will have in my 125.

I am thinking of 4, and maybe a peppermint.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i have a cleaner shrimp, but he isn't always interested in cleaning fish to tell you the truth, they go to him but most of the time he couldn't bother, I am thinking of making an army of cleaners in my tank. Maybe add two more, i had two once before and they were buddies hanging out together and then I had to change my rockwork and dropped a rock right on one, I felt terrible. my rock is complete so now I am thinking of gettting some cleaners not just the one I have. Hopefully today when i get home they are normal again.

does anybody suggest something like stress coat? does anybody use stress coat in salt tanks?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So umm. I have a miniatus grouper, do you guys think he will eat my 20 dollar cleaner shrimp if I get one. I would be pissed if he did.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a cleaner shrimp was put into a tank that already has a grouper, I would totally expect it to be lunch.

Sometimes if you have the shrimp first it might work, but not the other way around.

Also, a cleaner shrimp is not going to have much effect if it is ich and all of your fish would not necessarily show infection.

As for the parasite, what does it look like? can you take a picture? Why do you think it is a "reaction to the water"?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this has become an outbreak in two days, I no longer think it is a reaction to the water. it is defenitely ick. I didn't think it was ick because i thought i have been taking precautionary measures to prevent this outbreak and only one or two fish were infected. now some other fish have little signs of it....... when i got home from work my powder brown who had no signs at all yesterday was completely covered. I need help now, I found reef safe ick meds but it takes atleast a week of treatment and at this pace i don't have that time. I hate meds in the water but now I am forced to. I have a hospital tank with some extra crabs and stars in it and not able to medicate with copper right now in that tank. I gave the powder brown a freshwater dip for 5 minutes, anybody oppose to that? I heard it can knock ick right off. it didn't appear to do much but i did the fresh dip and have reef safe meds in the water. He is still eating and acting normal but looks like it can take him down.
1. Does ick move this fast? I had a UV running for the past two weeks.
and some fish still have no signs of trouble. but the powder brown is under major attack.

any advice? if he is still alive I may go buy another 10 gallon and treat with copper today also I found a store that has a cleaner wrasse and I am going to go get that today after work,
is a hang on the back filter good for this for one month copper trreatment if i buy a 10 gallon hospital as I have a few of them around from my years of fresh water?
thanks everybody

ps. I checked all parameters of water on a regular salt test kit and everything is zeroed out and Ph is 8/8.2 and my salinity is 1.026
temp is 80 and never fluxuates, only bad thing is I am using filtered tap water and I am getting a RO/DI for christmas. I don't have algea blooms really.

Laura, I just didn't think it could be ick, I have a UV running and at the time only one fish, my scopas tang showed signs of little white dots, but it wasn't like normal ick, it was kinda close (not spaced out) and there were alot of little ones not really visible unless it turned the right way in the light, now it has spread to my powder brown who is really a newcomer to my tank and has been fine acting normal and eating well, and had no signs before I went to bed and when i got home from work the next day it was completely covered.

any help is really appreciated

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved this thread to the General Reef Discussion to see if we can get more input from experienced hobbyists.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear Shavo.
*Tagging along in the hope of learning something*

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday was a bad day, My powder brown is not here anymore. I came home from work and my water was cloudy and he is the only one not around, I have alot of rockwork and he isn't out anywhere where he is visible and it would be really difficult to get him out, I have crabs shrimp, and a reef lobster, will they eat him? I just got up and I am going to head down there and see what my water looks like, I did a 20 percent water change yesterday and hopefuly it is a little better.

brb,

OK, I just checked it it all out, and I found the powder brown and removed it, my scopas and my flame angel both have ick, I fed them and the scopas ate but the flame angel is a little sluggish, kinda tried to eat but didn't take it. It has eaten very well until this point.
my water again is zeroed out, but my ph is slightly lower at between 7.8 and 8.0

I bought a cleaner wrasse and a second cleaner shrimp yesterday and the scopas goes to the wrasse and displays and opens up but the wrasse does not pick from him at all, he looks but not eating it off,
I can see why can't he?

Thanks chrissy I read the thread, but I am a little depressed at this time as well.
I am afraid to take them out of the tank and i am afraid to leave them in the tank

I am seriously questioning my ability to do this right.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take your time. its a slow process. do it right and do it slow.... if your tank hasnt been up AT LEAST 3 months..there's no business putting much of anything thats alive in there IMHO>.

Take your time.. you'll be fine.

b

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear that chris. don't get discouraged. it's a common situation in this hobby.
suck it up, do the best you can, and see what happens. AND DON'T BUY ANY MORE FISH FROM RTE 1.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw...my powder brown has some spots from time to time. some days his fins have alot of white spots, and somedays he has none.
and i bought him from the same place as you did.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, later today the scopas had nothing on him at all, and the flame angel is improved and ate like two pieces of food.

Hey UV question guy, i need your help

I have an 18 watt jebo (don't know the flow rate right now not home)

and it is on a 125 and I run it about 10 hours a day, is this good or should i go 24 hours for now and is this unit big enough?
thanks man!

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody know about my UV size and how long it should be running?

18 watt jebo UV sterilizer on a 125, i run it 10 hours a day right now

any UV experts here?

thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: