thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I was away for a few days last week and when i came home I noticed two of my fish weren't eating. Didn't think much of it as i was busy. As the weekend came and went i began looking for the two fish: a long nose hawk and Lubbock wrasse. I couldn't find them anywhere and assumed the jumped the tank. I figured I would check the overflow and sump and I can see the hawk hanging in the overflow alive and well. I am hoping the wrasse is also in that spot, but how the he'll do i get em out. Kinda of tight spot for a net?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Bend the net so it is long & thin. Tape a mirror to the wall behind the tank so you can see what you are doing.
Did you check your sump to see if the other fish got through the plumbing?

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
The net works. I tried it on a 60 rimless to for my hippo out. Just shove it deep Putin food stay still and then slowly bring it up and target the fish and bring him towards a panel and you got it. Might take time, took me 35 min

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Why not shut the pump off and syphon the water out when it gets low enough it will be a lot easier and less stressful for you and the fish getting it out.

good idea, thanks!
i will probly end up doing this.
the tank is wide and will present a challenge for sure based on how tall i am not and the positioning of the overflow

cdamiano

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
I have had this happen a few times and what I found to be the easiest and fastest way to get them out is to take a piece of tubing and shove one end all the way down in the overflow to the bottom and then blow really hard on the other end and the turbulence from the bubbles shoots the fish right to the top and you can grab it with your hands. Once I was even able to get the bubbles to force the fish up and over the overflow back into the tank. I find it very difficult to do it with a net since there isn't much room in the standard overflows that come with the reef ready type tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: