Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I actually helped to start Fish Town's tanks in about 1971 or so.
There has been a lot of problems reported by members on here so most people don't go there any more. I have heard the staff is rude and sarcastic. I myself rarely go there except for live worms because my Mother is in a nursing home a block from there so I have to walk in front of the place every week. I don't know anyone there any more.

vashawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
You guys are funnie. I spent $10. its about 2". not bad.....No, actually i did'nt quarintine it....thats's my promblem i can't wait. It's a bad habit.
speaking of rude....I agree with paul the staff is awful and swear they know everything ( i dont't want to mention names).

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Before shopping anywhere I do a search for them here at MR. So I would suggest anyone please use the search function and type in the store name and read about peoples experiences from MR and take that into consideration before buying there.

QUESTIONMARC

www.Questionmarc.com
Rating - 100%
376   0   0
Honestly.. fishtown isn't that bad. I mean yeaaaa... most of them don’t know what they are talking about.. WAIT.. no no, all of them.. don’t know what they are talking about.. and yeaaaaa.. they try to hustle you to buy stuff SO you have to know what you want and do the research, i tend to feel dry goods are really OVERPRICED in there.. and yeaaa... their tanks aren't in the best of shape and they don’t take care of their fish.. but they have gotten ALOT better.. and yeaaa... there is an angry pudgy woman behind the counter occasionally who needs to be slapped in the face because of her attitude.. BUT.. for people who don’t have the hundreds of dollars to spend.. their prices are REALLY pretty good and VERY reasonable.. A lot of stores price things out because they order one or two fish, opposed to where fishtown brings in bulk and gets a much better deal.. NOBODY on here can move bulk like they do OR has a client base like they do. PERIOD. Also a lot of places with this reef explosion going on like to call it something rare like.. "joe's big toe green pink stripe wrasse" and then try to sell it for double.. or "banana yellow tip green blue rare tyree's bathroom tile monti"... but the bottom line is.. they just sell it for what it is.. a tang, a monti, birdnest.. with a reasonable price tag etc.. for someone on a budget you can find some really nice finds in there.. IF you know how to look for it.

I mean.. I would definitely have them feed the fish before you purchase and IF you can quarantine ... I would.. but not everyone can.. I would pay attention to what I am buying as well.. i mean if you pick up a fish who swims sideways with a eye hanging out.. then you are just asking for it.. but diseases are all over the place.. LIKE??? there ICk is something special? They sell fish with SUPERICK?? lol.. i mean you can buy a fish anywhere and run a risk of disease.. i have hit and misses ALL OVER.. ANY store I've shopped in.. ALSO you can find a good deal on coral colonies and pieces in there.. once again.. they bring in BULK.. so it is easy to drop that price compared to others.. I mean I've seen people selling an 1" or 2" for 80$ and these dudes sometimes have a full colony for 60$ or something.. so.. you need to put the personal and political issues aside.. and tell it like it is.. i mean EVERYONE has been burnt by this store. and yes.. the store is run like sh*t.. and they are very rude. BUT.. it is what it is.

JUST SO WE GET IT CLEAR.. because a lot of people hate that store.. and i know it is a political thing on here with vendors and advertising.. which is fine.. BUT.. I'm not pumping them.. i don’t work for them.. or... tell you what.. I HATE.. even promoting them.. BUT.. the facts are the facts.. and this is what I have learned to be the facts.. and this is what the forum is for.. exchanging facts and teaching each other.. I MEAN THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT RIGHT?? and from being in the hobby for a while.. it's FOR SURE not the greatest place.. but you can find some treasure chests in there sometimes if you take the time to look for them and do your homework... and you can come out of there with a bag load of stuff where other places you might get one or two things.

**MENTAL NOTE** YES .. THIS IS AN OPINION.. SO EVERYONE SHOULD TAKE IT LIKE ONE.. but i mean.. i think it is an important opinion.. because no one is saying it like it is.. and i am sure a lot of people treat that store in the same respect.

I mean.. I love the vendor on here.. and I think they are all great and i RESPECT what they do and I am sure they have much better livestock and fish and treat you MUCH nicer then fishtown.. BUT.. fishtown is a chopshop.. and for people who KNOW what they are doing and can't afford 95$ on a piece of "steve's brown closet dust lint digi".. this store might have something for you on a more reasonable budget. You might wait around for a while.. you might curse to yourself.. you might not get treated like a king like most of the other vendors probably would.. you might get a some monkey know-it-all who tells you YEaaaa groupers very compatible with true perculas and triggers are reef fish and will protect your corals.. BUT.. you get what you pay for.. you want knowledge and healthy pieces of coral and fish.. you will pay the price.. and there is NOTHIGN wrong with that.. BUT.. if you want to go to the "flea market" of fish stores and take your chances and sometimes win and sometimes lose.. that’s up to you. Like i said.. to me.. that is just the facts.. according to MY experiences.

well.. yea.. thats about it.. and oh yea..

this response..

"Maybe To Meet Some People Who Is Interested In The Same Hobbit!
Daaaaaaaa"

was classic. ;)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I haven't been to Fishtown in maybe 2 years or more...not just for the political reasons discussed before, but because Aquatic Express and WWoF are closer and easier to reach. While the last time I was there, I noticed that the staff seemed pretty disgruntled with the management, I have to say that I have never been treated rudely or given bad advice by the staff. They can be hard to get on a busy day, but they have always been nice and have always been quite open about fish that weren't reef safe. I've never been impressed by their corals, but their fish were good and as likely to survive as those from any store...of course I never bought any when I saw sick fish.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Im not a big fan of the place, but I did buy my royal gramma and pygmy angel there about 7 months ago. I still have the royal gramma and he is quite healthy, but I lost the angel about 3 months later, and I dont think it had anything to do with my tank or their tank (HoL explained that a lot of those fish are cyanide caught and dont last more than a few months).

The only thing that threw up a red flag for me was that, I think it was the owner, said to me "Make sure you get as little as possible, if any, of our water into your tank as we keep our tank water dosed with copper. After acclimation, net the fish out and add him." Seems a little odd as many of their tanks have fish and inverts and corals in them, but I swear to you that was pretty much his exact words.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: