Tbone Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Started a new Nano tank today withe Fluval Sec 5.

I will post more as I start getting it together. So far I have added sand (not live) and 2 lbs of live Fiji Rock.

Just ordered the mini jet 606 to swap out the fluval OEM pump.

LED's and heater are to come. Any suggestions for these two are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for checking it out!

(Sorry for the upside down pics, not sure how to flip them properly.)

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,825
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,727
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,671
Last edited:

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've wanted to do a reef spec v since I first saw it. I have the original spec and its great. The 5 is perfect because of the long thin shape. So many aqua scape possibilities

My suggestion would be another few rocks. When I had my spec running as reef I removed the filtration foam and put live rock rubble in their place

Also your going to want upgrade the pump

Looks good though!! Def following this

Tbone Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
re: Jabx1

Thanks for the recommendations Jab.

I plan to replace the media cartridge with a custom one to accommodate live rock down the line. Did you build a new cartridge or just rip out the foam?

Any suggestions on heaters? I haven't found one with sufficient wattage, that will fit in the pump chamber(2"x 2.5"X 7.5").

I received the mini jet 606 this morning and plan on installing this weekend, along with 5 more lbs of live rock.

LED's are coming soon, not sure what to get for that either. Any suggestions?

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations Jab.

I plan to replace the media cartridge with a custom one to accommodate live rock down the line. Did you build a new cartridge or just rip out the foam?

Any suggestions on heaters? I haven't found one with sufficient wattage, that will fit in the pump chamber(2"x 2.5"X 7.5").

I received the mini jet 606 this morning and plan on installing this weekend, along with 5 more lbs of live rock.

LED's are coming soon, not sure what to get for that either. Any suggestions?

I just took the foam and ceramic disks out, i wanted to have some carbon so i cut the foam down the middle and tossed the ceramic half. I then put as much rubble as could fit in the back while still leaving just enough room for the foam/carbon on top.

I put the foam on top to act as a mechanical filtration. i orginally had only the rubble and noticed tons of detritus and dust.

there is also a hole towards the bottom of the back wall (not sure if still there on the V) i planned on filling with silicone. I never got around to making it a true overflow either. i have seen threads where people take a piece of acrylic and silicone it at the top, covering the bottom half of the grates.

All simple projects to do, good luck with the heater, i used a preset 25w tetra heater. did the job but did not like no adjustability.

update with pics once you swap the pumps and add rock

Tbone Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Update!

Update:

Tetra HT10 50W
-Barely fits in the pump chamber, but it works and the water has been stable at 77.6

Mini-jet 606:

-It went in easily. After removing the two side caps, the pump fits perfectly in the OEM tank housing. During this process, I also sealed the hole in the media side of the filter area with some coral epoxy. So far so good!

-Immediately after installing, there was a noticeable difference in water clarity and movement. I will probably order a second incase this one goes unexpectedly.

Minijet 606.jpg

New Additions:

-6LB of Live Rock

Clean up crew was added
-2 Hermits
-3 Snails
-1 Peppermint Shrimp
Shrimp.jpg

One week after being added, the Hermits have eaten all my snails and used their shells, despite me providing extras. I noticed this while eating Chinese food and decided they should be named General Tso and Tsung Szu.

G. Tso in his newly commandeered shell.
G Tso.jpg

Marineland Invisible 17" white/blue LEDs. (pics will come shortly)

It works alright for now in conjunction with the Fluval OEM. I have it resting on the cover, but plan on moving it to my FW and replacing with a LED solution that will mount to the tank.

Last edited:

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looking good!!

How far into the cycle is the tank? have you been checking water parameters?

Did you upgrade the light or are you still working with the stock strip?

Any fish you have in mind for the tank?

Darkavenger6669

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well if your interested i currently have spec v reef not many corals as i would like but the light i put in... I kept the light it comes with and put 2 (3w) blue led forgot name of it on each side and my sps is on top supper happy after much pain itwent through me getting things right so thats what i recommend for light si ce its so low any more would be too much

Tbone Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
JaBX: I am almost done with the cycling. Thinking about 2 more weeks before the fun begins.

The peppermint shrimp and "general tso" (picutred above) both molted this past week. At least I know my iodine levels are on point!

Sunday's test:
No2 .05
No3 >1.0>2.5
NH3/4 .-0.1>0
PO4=.01

I did upgrade the lighting by adding a marineland hidden 17"LED lighting system that rests on the cover. 400 lumens blue/white LED.

I plan on changing as I want to take the cover off to better facilitate gas exchange. I bought a solar flare mini, but it wasn't strong enough for corals, so i put it on my fw fluval.

Not sure on fish. Most likely one goby, not sure which yet.

I will update with pictures of the lighting this weekend. I am curious to see DarkAvengers custom set up.

Tbone Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Corals!

I bought a very large Turbo and another snail. So far the crabs don't have any interest.

I bought the first Zoas, here are some pics. Not sure what types, but they look nice and should be relatively easy to maintain. Anyone know what types they are?

Sorry for the upside down pictures again. The site always publishes my iphone pictures upside down.

Attachments

• photo-13.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 803
  • photo-14.jpg
    photo-14.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 785
  • photo-15.jpg
    photo-15.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 807
  • photo-12.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 786

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well if your interested i currently have spec v reef not many corals as i would like but the light i put in... I kept the light it comes with and put 2 (3w) blue led forgot name of it on each side and my sps is on top supper happy after much pain itwent through me getting things right so thats what i recommend for light si ce its so low any more would be too much

You've able to keep sps w the stock light? That's surprising. Thought for sure light upgrade would be necessary. Have any more info on your led upgrade/addition?

And is that gsp on your glass? Did you glue it on?

These specs are making my 29gal feel huge lol

Darkavenger6669

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yea i used stock light but added 2 3w blue led dont remember brand it was like $20, i did glue a piece of the gsp on the glass but the rest has encruste on its own... Yea this is my baby just wanted to try a 5 see how hard it is takes practice and tons of testing to get it done right my 34corner is my DT but still needs more corals

Tbone Reefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Upgrade time.

So the fluval ended up being upgraded. Here is the new (used) JBJ12 DX with a finnex 1G HOB refugium. I wasn't able to hang it, so I made a custom stand for it and it rests nicely right where I want it.

Stock:
Lots of Zoas! (rastas, phe, watermelon, eagleye, and others)
4headed frogsparn
Torch
Large green button polyps (largest is ab half dollar when opened)
Blur hornet paly
Forest fire digi

osc Clown
Shark Nosed Goby

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 685
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 689
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 639

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: