rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
I am building stand for 200g tank and I was wondering if I should put some kind of foam between the stand and tank? if yes, which one and where to get? any advice will be greatly appreciated.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I would check with the manufacture first but typically foam is used for acrylic and tanks with no plastic trim.

sjsoto, the foam fills in any voids or unevenness in the stands top surface. Any time a glass or acrylic tank sits directly on a hard surface any imperfection (spliter/nail or screw head) will create a pressure point, basically a bulk of the weight on that point, the stress can crack the tank. On tanks with the plastic trim the weight is distributed to the edge, using foam may push in the center causing a similar pressure point; a big reason bare bottom tanks should use starboard.

Oh and +1 on the kilz for the canopy or any unfinished surface.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Doubt the foam will will help, the vibrations are from the skimmer to glass. I'd try a neoprene sheet (or mousepad) under the skimmer to try and absorb the vibrations.

George.....a little late in a reply but the foam will not compress as much in the voids. What you'll get is the tank now applying even pressure all around with the goal of eliminating any single pressure point.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I used some egg create shaped soft foam under my sump.

You really have to watch for spills though, it could start to smell if it stays wet.

But that may not be too difficult to fix depending on the size sump.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
foam is used on glass bottom tanks, if the tank has a frame then you do not need foam, you only need to support the perimeter of the tank.
i used 2 coats of kilz and then a coat of white enamel paint.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: