• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Karin,
The thing about live sand coming out of a mature tank like yours is that you mix the different layers of the sand, which kills the sand. In actuality this makes the sand toxic if you were to put in someone elses tank without washing it thoroughly. You might have a hard time giving this away, much less getting someone to trade for it. Best of luck though.

-Kris

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
very true..
Karin,
The thing about live sand coming out of a mature tank like yours is that you mix the different layers of the sand, which kills the sand. In actuality this makes the sand toxic if you were to put in someone elses tank without washing it thoroughly. You might have a hard time giving this away, much less getting someone to trade for it. Best of luck though.

-Kris

karin

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmm, i actually only used to the top levels (looked very clean to me)
...actually tradet already half of it to some experienced guy
so you are saying that this was a mistake and he shouldn't put it into his tank??

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
hmm, i actually only used to the top levels (looked very clean to me)
...actually tradet already half of it to some experienced guy
so you are saying that this was a mistake and he shouldn't put it into his tank??

Looks can be really decieving. Yes I was saying that it should not go into a tank without a thorough washing. When you took out the sand and mixed it up, you basically kill the life in the sand that way. Putting it into your tank in that condition is useless and detrimental to the tanks health. Washing it just makes it clean, if you can even wash it that well seeing as it was in your tank for 5 years.

-Kris

malulu

still a newbie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
nanoreefer22 - Kris,

can you help to give some more advises on this live sand issue, is this mean:
  • we should not add live sand from someone else' tank?
  • if we ever want to do so, we need to wash them thoroughly, which mean only adding more sand into our tank, but not adding more lives?
  • how about when we buy live sand from vendor in a consealed bucket/bag? can we add those in?
  • or, live sand should only be add at the very beginning of the setup process, and should not add more later on? unless it is a little bit at a time...? how little? %?
thx

-David

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Hope this helps:
  • we should not add live sand from someone else' tank?
  • Adding live sand is ok, but only a cup or two's worth and you want to collect that sand from the very top of their sand bed.
  • if we ever want to do so, we need to wash them thoroughly, which mean only adding more sand into our tank, but not adding more lives?
  • Correct, I wouldn't wash the sand. Sand can bind up many chemicals that washing wont' remove. Washing will also remove some of the beneficial elements as well.
  • how about when we buy live sand from vendor in a consealed bucket/bag? can we add those in?
  • I've NEVER seen something "live" survive in a sealed plastic bag for months at a time, except for botulism. Leave the "live" sand on the shelf. Live rock will turn dead sand into live sand in no time flat.
  • or, live sand should only be add at the very beginning of the setup process, and should not add more later on? unless it is a little bit at a time...? how little? %?
  • IMO live sand is a waste. If you put live rock on top of regular sand it will become live sand in a few days.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: