Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I’m planning the beginning stages of my return to reefing. I was cleaning the area I want the tank to be set up and found a slightly used bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. I’m assuming I bought it during the middle to end of 2016. Would it still be safe to use or should I just toss it out and start fresh? I was thinking of at least using it to cure some dry rock before the tank is set up in the next few months. Thanks in advance for the advice!

JJSBLM

Crazy Pico guy
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Salt does not expire. Neither should the additives in our salt mixes. That being said, there is always a caveat.

If it has been exposed to any amount of moisture, it will clump and become unstable/useless.

If it feels like normal salt mix and isn't clumpy or chunky. Use it,

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Salt does not expire. Neither should the additives in our salt mixes. That being said, there is always a caveat.

If it has been exposed to any amount of moisture, it will clump and become unstable/useless.

If it feels like normal salt mix and isn't clumpy or chunky. Use it,
It’s still in the bag that it came in with the tie keeping the bag closed and the bucket was closed but not sealed as if it were new. Still feels good and doesn’t seem clumped up at all. Thanks for the response. I know that saving money isn’t necessarily a thing in this hobby but every little bit will count getting up and running.

Timfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend of mine gave me a bucket they found in a garage. Only problem I had with it was breaking big clumps into usable pieces to fit into a measuring cup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: