Ryan22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be moving soon and i was thinking that during the move would be a good time to change some tanks around. I started working on a 55gal reef tank but stoped the process when I realised that I would be moving soon. So right now I have the 55 gal with a 4-5in sand bed and nothing else waiting to make the move. I also have a 29 gal with the remains of what I have left from my first attempt (before I found this board) at SW waiting to go into the 55. I have a Coral beauty, three blue damsels and a maroon clown in the 29. I have desided that because of $$$$ restrictions I am going to go FOWLR when I move. I'm also going to switch my African Cichlids into the 55 and make their former home(72 gal bowfront) the FOWLR tank. So I was thinking of getting a niger trigger, a snowflake eel, a dwarf lion and a puffer of some sort in addition to the others listed above. Will this be to many fish for the 72? Do you foresee any posible problems with this? I would also like to get a kole tang, a picasso trigger and an angle or butterfly if at all possible, or as a replacement for one of the others mentioned above. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your input.

Ryan

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan22 ]

Ryan22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before I leave work for the day, back to the top
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan:
Not sure what your looking for, as far as yes's or no's. The 72 gal what is the dimensions. I ask this just incase this tank is a squatty tank w/ little swimming room.
AS far as FOWLR these are great tank as long as you set them up correctly. I can't tell from your post what the filtration will be(the DSB from the old tank? a new wetdry, etc). Also How much live rock?? Skimmer?
So assuming your setting the tank up correctly, and assuming your tank is at least 4ft long. You can add the niger trigger, the snowflake, and probably those three other fish you mention. But thats gonna be it. You'll have fish literally swimmin all over each other.
Make sure that no fish is small enuf for the lion to eat it, and the dwarf lion should be weened over to dead prepared foods.
What type of puffer?? a toby or a large bodied one(porky, star stripe, dogface etc?).
So to answer your q? do i forsee any problems? well its all gonna depend on how big this tank is, and whether every fish will get appropiate space(remember the tigger will stake out a hole and defend it). I woul also only add those first 3-5 fish(all juveniles) and see how they grow into this tank, before even considering adding large fish. (also that picasso trigger might tear up the tank and its mates)
my input
frank
to see my 180gal tank of lions http://www.marshreef.org/members/fmarini/index.htm

Ryan22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Frank,

The tank is 48"x18"x23" With a bowed front, so it's only 18" at the most extreme point of the bow. I'll be using the sand bed that I started to establish in my 55, I have 20lb of live rock, and plan to by about 50 more pounds to go in the tank. I have a turbofloater 1500 that I plan to use in a 20 gal sump and I also have a fluval 404 and 3 fluval 304's that I could use. I was thinking of using the 404 and one of the 304's. I figured that the canester filters would be ok since nirtates aren't as big a problem in a FOWLR.
So I would say that the picasso is out. I like the dogface puffers, but I don't really know all that much about them, except they are messy eaters. how big do they get? Should I consider another puffer, what kind? How about a good species of lion, that doesn't get too big?
Thanks again
Ryan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: